Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2007, 11:16 PM

Default Starting over online: picking a site?

I used to be a small stakes online pro. I haven't played online in a year+ and haven't played poker regularly since early 2005. I used to average between 30-45k hands a month, all on Party and Empire. After a long sabbatical, I want to see if poker still interests me, but I don't know what site to start at.

I understand that Party's no longer available for US users, and just wired my final balance from Party to the ol' bank. I'm looking for the most populous non-crappy/non-shady site for the following games:

ring limits up to 3-6
ring NL micros
$0-$10 buy in tourneys (SNG + mtt)

Are Full Tilt and Stars the end of the line here as far as large sites go? I don't want to be on a site with 200 bonus whores and no one else.

What are the multi-tabling maxes for these?
Are they both PT compatible?
Do they work with poker ace?
Is one "safer" than the other for a US player?
Is UB worth considering?

Feel free to recommend these sites on a scale of 1-10 if need be.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:47 PM

Default Re: Starting over online: picking a site?

Bison - you're a legend I'm glad I was around to learn from. Your posts made a big contribution to me becoming a winning limit player. Sadly I cannot provide advice of the same quality to you, but I can give you my impression of PokerStars. They have a consistent record of decent customer service and have said all the right things so far in the post-UIGEA poker world. Small stakes NL ring is easily beatable by a casual player like myself - someone of your caliber will easily crush in my opinion. PT/PA compatible, the table re-sizing is very nice for some and I think the table max is 12. The only real downside is the lack of RB and infrequent bonuses.

Site Traffic
Old 02-20-2007, 09:20 AM

Bisonbison, if you check out http://www.pokersitescout.com/ you can see that the two largest US sites are PokerStars and Full Tilt. As for the quality of games between the two, I can't tell you which one's better because I only play on Stars, currently.

[ QUOTE ]
What are the multi-tabling maxes for these?

[/ QUOTE ]
Stars: 12 tables for cash, I heard it's unlimited for tournies.
Full Tilt: I heard it's 16 tables.

[ QUOTE ]
Are they both PT compatible?
Do they work with poker ace?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes/Yes

As for your other questions, I can't really tell you, but it seems like a lot of 2+2ers trust both sites enough to keep massive amounts of money online, so take that as you will.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:39 AM

Welcome back Bison and I Hope that your coming bac kto poker means you're coming back to post here. Your posts have also helped me and I'm looking forward to reading more.

I play stars in the games you are asking about. I think the games are a little tight(average table <28% to the flop) - except for the micro nl, but you should have no trouble with them.

[ QUOTE ]
The only real downside is the lack of RB and infrequent bonuses.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stars FPP is pretty good though, once you hit gold status you get two fpp to spend for each one your earn. You can earn at a higher rate as well.