Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2007, 02:35 AM

Default Partygaming.exe modifying other files

hi,

i have a question regarding partygaming.exe it tried to modify other programs, i think pretty much all of them were in my taskbar(i hope that's what its called, the programs showing in the bottom right of the screen) such as my mixer.exe and processguard and msn messenger etc.. now, this kinda freaked me out a bit and it happened when i was playing on Party. Does anyone else have a similar experience and is this a cause for concern?

I'm also pretty sure the partygaming.exe file was from the partygaming folder as i checked where it was with ProcessGuard so its unlikely to be another file masquerading as a legitimate party poker file.

anyway, thanks for the help in advance.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:02 AM

Default Re: Partygaming.exe modifying other files

How do you know it tried to modify those programs? It was probably Party scanning your machine to see if you had a program running they don't allow.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:09 AM

Google for "dll injection".
Old 02-20-2007, 08:01 PM

well, i kinda assumed it tried to modify the programs because process guard did a pop up alert that said something along the lines of "partygaming.exe was prevented from modifying ...." and it seemed to have tried to do this to everything in the taskbar which kinda got me a bit worried and i just wanted to ask if anyone else had the same thing happen or whether i should do something about it

i googled dll injection... its a plausible idea, but i don't think this is it because i just reformatted and did a clean install of pretty much everything on my computer and i haven't downloaded anything from dodgy sources
Old 02-21-2007, 01:22 AM

Autumn,

party's client does in fact use dll injection of running processess. They hook your keyboard that way. You will have to either learn to live with it or stop playing the downloaded version. They have a new web-based version of their client in beta testing that probably wouldn't do this unless they are running scripts to do so.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:05 PM

ohhhh... okay, now, that's different, when i googled dll injection i thought you were referring to another program that had dropped a dll file or somefin- so i guess its a normal "event" with party... but i have an ant-keylogger and when i deny party with Process Guard it doesn't seem to affect gameplay- is it still okay to play with Process Guard and the anti-keylogger running in the background?

PS sorry about the confusion on the dll injection thing and thanks for the heads up
Old 02-21-2007, 11:40 PM

If the client still works when you deny access then you should be fine. I have never heard that their T&C requires you to enable same. At most you might get some of those bot-test popups to answer depending on how you play.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:01 PM

cool, thanks for the helpful info.