Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2007, 11:59 PM

Default Help me with this hand

This hand came up this weekend in a home game. I have a pretty good read on villian. Decent PLO player. Knows not to over value his cards. Capable of bluffing (he's shown me 2 bluffs over the past 2 sessions). Plays PAG to TAG style.

I don't have the exact chip counts or the exact bets but this represents the hand well:

PLO $5/$5 Blinds
Me: $2200 (BB)
Villian: $400 (button)
UTG1: $250
UTG2: $400
UTG3: $800

I have QQ94 double suited.

UTG1,2,3 fold
Villian pots
I call
Pot is $55

Flop is 5d, 6d, 6s

I check as I want to hold down the pot size of I can. I have no draws and just a naked overpair. Villian bets $40. I'm now putting him on an overpair and maybe also a decent flush draw. I decide to call with the intention of pushing the turn. Pot is $135.

Turn is a 2 off suit. I bet $135. Pot is $270. Villian goes all in. Pot is $600. It's $200 more to me.

I fold. What does villian have? How would you have played this hand?
Old 02-20-2007, 01:04 AM

Default Re: Help me with this hand

Well, with as short stacked as villian is- don't bet that turn unless your going to call a re-raise. Villian could have AAxx or 6xxx. He could also have a 78xx or a flush draw. His range is big here if he is a loose player pre-flop. He figures this might be the hand to gamble and go broke with. Or he has the nuts and wants you to call.

If all you have is an overpair- the standard play is probably check/fold the turn. If you had a flush draw or something with the QQ maybe I gamble and look him up. Betting the turn and then folding is a horrible play in my view because your giving him 200 dollars for nothing and not going to showdown.
Old 02-20-2007, 02:17 AM

My guess is he got a run down hand like 5678, 6789, or something like A786ds, maybe AK67 suited, or just KK6x or double paired like 7755 and he's despoerately trying to protect his underboat.. Either way, he's got the 6 and most likely a boat. good time to bail.

That said, I like the way you played the hand.
That said, I think you played the hand just fine.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, with as short stacked as villian is- don't bet that turn unless your going to call a re-raise. Villian could have AAxx or 6xxx. He could also have a 78xx or a flush draw. His range is big here if he is a loose player pre-flop. He figures this might be the hand to gamble and go broke with. Or he has the nuts and wants you to call.

If all you have is an overpair- the standard play is probably check/fold the turn. If you had a flush draw or something with the QQ maybe I gamble and look him up. Betting the turn and then folding is a horrible play in my view because your giving him 200 dollars for nothing and not going to showdown.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't really consider him as being shortstacked. He bought in for $500 (100BB) and after playing a while he had about $400 when the hand took place. I was planning on pushing him off his overpair (if that's what he had) and a weak/medium flush draw. I agree that as soon as he re-raises all in I have to fold.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My guess is he got a run down hand like 5678, 6789, or something like A786ds, maybe AK67 suited, or just KK6x or double paired like 7755 and he's despoerately trying to protect his underboat.. Either way, he's got the 6 and most likely a boat. good time to bail.

That said, I like the way you played the hand.
That said, I think you played the hand just fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

After I folded he showed me 9d 9x Ax Td. He had a lot of outs.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:49 PM

If you think trips and boats are a very small part of his range I don't think your 1/2 pot lead on the turn is going to win you the pot all that often. The stack sizes are simply too awkward. Checkraising AI on the turn is much more likely to get him off his hand. This hand would also play much better in position.