Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2007, 07:56 PM

Default another top set hand

5/10 kill O/8 game at Resorts EC. Kill is off.

Table is geriatric as always, but a couple of the really live regulars are seated, which, of course, is good.

I limp AA47ds from UTG, 3 more limpers to button, who raises, blinds call, I call, everyone else calls.

Flop: A-J-8r. Blinds check, I bet, 2 callers, button raises, blinds fold, I 3 bet, callers call, button caps, I call.

Turn: 2. I bet, everyone just calls.

River: K (no 3-flush). I check.

2 questions:

(1) Raise preflop or no?
(2) Check/call the river or bet and reevaluate if raised?

Part of my thinking in checking was that surely a low would bet behind me, so the river wouldn't check through--and if Q10xx was behind the low, I'd certainly hear from it. But given that all the premium low hands have been rendered worthless by this board, and I hold second nuts for high, perhaps I should have just bet?
Old 02-19-2007, 08:18 PM

Default Re: another top set hand

I would lead the river again and call any button raise, the chances of someone having QT is minimal and I wouldnt want to miss a river bet against someone with two pair who is calling down along with 2 crappy lows calling at each other
Old 02-19-2007, 11:22 PM

Why would the chance of QT be minimal? What are they calling with on the turn? Odds of someone playing a high wrap-type hand seem good with three callers here. They can't all be playing 234x, a lower set would probably have raised on the flop, and surely even these guys wouldn't be calling with bottom two pair...?
Old 02-20-2007, 02:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
(1) Raise preflop or no?

[/ QUOTE ] bhiatt - It’s a toss-up in my mind. To give a better anwser I’d need to know what effect an early position raise would be likely to have on the group. If raising would get you one-on-one with a blind who had a random hand, then raising would seem all right. But double suited aces also plays well against a full table. If you’re not likely to get one-on-one with the blinds, I’d want as many customers as possible. The way you played the hand doesn’t necessarily mark you for aces.
[ QUOTE ]
(2) Check/call the river or bet and reevaluate if raised? ... perhaps I should have just bet?

[/ QUOTE ] The natural inclination is to want to bet the river. Not easy to say if any of your opponents has QTXY. I’d expect it slightly less than half the time on the basis of a simulation I just ran.

If you check and nobody does have the straight, one of your opponents might well take a stab at the pot. Thus you don’t necessarily lose a bet if nobody has the straight. Indeed, you might even have a better chance of picking up a bet.

But there simply is too good a chance that one of these guys has the straight, and in that case you’ll get raised. I don’t like betting and then folding to a raise.... sends out the wrong image message. Better for you to check/call.

Buzz
Old 02-20-2007, 12:03 PM

Thanks for the replies.

It checked through and MHIG for high. Button didn't show, but probably had A23x, perhaps A23J, which would explain his flop aggression. The other two had crappy lows.