Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2007, 06:33 PM

Default Re: Those who don\'t believe in life after death - Why not Kill Yoursel

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Im saying that it doesnt matter what I feel about it, it would be morally wrong to end whatever I have instored for the future. For someone who doesnt believe, it wouldnt be.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hah? Does your own morality depend on some Superdaddy in the sky?

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently he's all that keeps many theists from raping and killing as well...at least from what I've deduced from the reasoning of the theist posters on here, anyway.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:39 PM

I'm kinda lost as to the initial thought process that went into making this thread.

You start with the premise that someone realizes that they have exactly one shot to be alive, and draw from that conclusion that it makes sense for them to kill themselves? Really? You hate life that much?
Old 02-19-2007, 06:41 PM

Default Re: Those who don\'t believe in life after death - Why not Kill Yourself?

OP, this is the dumbest thread I have read in a long time.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm kinda lost as to the initial thought process that went into making this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]
There are some who without their religon 1) wouldn't find their life worth living and/or 2) would be amoral. They cant understand why others aren't as miseranble specimans as they.

Religon is their way of coping - sadly it cures 1) but not 2).

chez
Old 02-19-2007, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
There are some who without their religon 1) wouldn't find their life worth living and/or 2) would be amoral. They cant understand why others aren't as miseranble specimans as they.

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I don't think this is really true. I think there are far more people who THINK they would be this way than people who actually WOULD be this way. And thats because people follow a moral compass that is based on their own reason (and their evolutionary past). But, they naively think that arguments along these lines are a clever salvo to go after the godless atheists. There's really nothing better than being able to put people you disagree with in an inferior outgroup.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I don't think this is really true. I think there are far more people who THINK they would be this way than people who actually WOULD be this way. And thats because people follow a moral compass that is based on their own reason (and their evolutionary past). But, they naively think that arguments along these lines are a clever salvo to go after the godless atheists. There's really nothing better than being able to put people you disagree with in an inferior outgroup.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree, that exactly what I meant. Its always belief not fact.

chez
Old 02-19-2007, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I was agreeing with what you were saying, I was just trying to make the point that even these people who BELIEVE this are wrong about themselves. If they became atheists tomorrow they would act just about the same as they do now, for better or worse. I was only arguing with the 'miserable specimens' part. They either are or are not miserable specimens, and their misplaced belief about WHY they are this way has little to do with.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2. If you beieve in an after-life then a basic moral principle would be to get their naturally cause anything unnatural would be wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

How does this "moral principle" logically follow from belief in an afterlife?
Old 02-19-2007, 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I was agreeing with what you were saying, I was just trying to make the point that even these people who BELIEVE this are wrong about themselves. If they became atheists tomorrow they would act just about the same as they do now, for better or worse. I was only arguing with the 'miserable specimens' part. They either are or are not miserable specimens, and their misplaced belief about WHY they are this way has little to do with.

[/ QUOTE ]
Miserable specimens is partly the label for what they believe they would be and partly because its a miserable thing to believe.

Many theists aren't miserable specimans in this way but we get our fair share croping up here.

chez
Old 02-19-2007, 08:03 PM

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently he's all that keeps many theists from raping and killing as well...at least from what I've deduced from the reasoning of the theist posters on here, anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, Raping and Killing have punishments in our society. If you raped and killed and didnt take your own life, your subject to punishment, reasons why people dont rape and kill are if they did they would get in trouble, or they are not evil people.

According to Athiest, killing your has no punishment.

You guys have the worst analogies.