Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > High Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2007, 12:05 PM

Default Live 75-150 AJ hearts hand vs tough oppenent and a fish

This hand took place in a live 75-150 6 handed game. I am UTG, complete fish is UTG+1 (he is calling 2 cold frequently and generally playing badly), BB is a solid winning live and online high stakes holdem player, but is very aggresive and capable of bluffraises etc.

I raise UTG with AJ of hearts, fish coldcalls and villian in BB calls. 3 to the flop.

Flop is A310 rainbow.
I Villian (BB) leads, I just call and fish calls. I did not raise here, planning on raising a safe turn b/c I was not too worried about fish's hand.

Turn 7, Board is A 3 10 7. BB bets I raise, fish folds, BB now 3bets and I call.

River A, and BB bets again. I just call, seeing little value in a raise as BB may have flopped a set of threes or aces up and now is full. I don't expect him to payoff with many hands that I can beat so a raise is out of the question.

After the hand villian critized my play of the hand saying that I should have raised the flop to eliminate fish.

Thoughts on all streets appreciated and I will post results later.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:05 PM

Default Re: Live 75-150 AJ hearts hand vs tough oppenent and a fish

"After the hand villian critized my play of the hand saying that I should have raised the flop to eliminate fish."

You should have raised the flop to eliminate the fish. Do you really want the fish peeling his KQ gutshot or his KT 5 outer here?
Old 02-19-2007, 02:54 PM

I would raise the flop because the fish would probably call anyway. I don't think this is a time to wait for a safe turn to raise card because there are not very many dangerous ones.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You should have raised the flop to eliminate the fish. Do you really want the fish peeling his KQ gutshot or his KT 5 outer here?

[/ QUOTE ]

He is almost definitely going to call a raise with KT, maybe not with KQ. You're just making it incorrect for him to draw by raising, which means you should raise.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:51 AM

You really have to raise the flop, if the fish is going to call 1 or 2 bets with his GS or his T, at least make him call incorrectly.

On the river, your either chopping with his A, he'll fold his counterfeited boat or he'll 3 bet his AT or 77. There isn't much, if any, value in a river raise.
Old 02-20-2007, 02:02 AM

raising flop is a pretty standard scenario of protecting your hand.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:43 AM

I agree that raising the flop is pretty standard and probably the right play in this spot. It would have charged fish for his draw and made the hand play out more straightforward. Later in the session villian commented on how I liked to wait for the turn to raise, so he was probably setting a bet/3 bet situation on the turn with his bet on the flop or was willing to jam it up on the flop, knowing I would call him with most aces.

Thanks for the feedback guys.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:18 PM

You dont really have a good read of what a "safe card" is for the turn, all equally probable of 2 pair, by either the tuna, or the tag, so you should raise to protect...
The call didnt really cost you all that much in this hand anyways but you could be giving fish a freebie to gutshotville...
cdl
Old 02-20-2007, 10:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree that raising the flop is pretty standard and probably the right play in this spot. It would have charged fish for his draw and made the hand play out more straightforward. Later in the session villian commented on how I liked to wait for the turn to raise, so he was probably setting a bet/3 bet situation on the turn with his bet on the flop or was willing to jam it up on the flop, knowing I would call him with most aces.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

considering the villain in this hand, you can make a case for calling down, because you know he's very capable of pulling very aggressive plays w/ total air/draws etc.

also, considering you figure he's probably going to put the max pressure on you.. i actually think raising the flop is okay.. but i dont mind your line either..you may have won max value from villain.. i think his range is very important here b/c he'll be playing the hand the same way if he has it or doesnt
Old 02-21-2007, 12:55 AM

Bill your thinking here is exactly why I called down the turn 3bet. You are right on knowing our past history, this is vs Joe btw. Vs a normal TAG oppenent not capable of moves shorthanded I would have folded the turn.