Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2007, 12:50 PM

Default hi all

Haven't posted in a while.

I've been thinking about how we try and get better here. It's always about posting individual hands and figuring out the best line for a particular hand. I can't help think it's not the best way to really try to improve, the individual hands part.

What poker is all about is the range of hands you have versus the range of hands your opponent has and trying to make your opponent make large range versus range mistakes. I think if you think about poker this way you can get away form individual hands a bit. At least start thinking about your range rather than your individual hand. Here is a hand I played today that I had trouble with. It's pretty simple but illustrates what I'm talking about.

3/6, villain is 300 deep. 46/26/2.5 over 1159 Raises c-bets 20% which is a lot.
I'm MP and raise to 21 with 88. Villain cold-calls and the rest fold.

Flop: 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
pot 50, I bet 35, villain raises 80 with 165 behind.

So I wasn't sure what the right thing to do here is. It's obviously a tough position out of position against an agressive player who will certainly take pots away from me on flops like this.

I raise maybe 15% from MP. Here is a rough hack at my range. 22+,A7s+,KTs+,QTs+,JTs,ATo+,KJo+

JJ+,AJ,KJ,QJ is a likely range that I would almost always continue with. This range is 5.5%. So I'm folding down 66% of my hands on this flop. Villain is risking 115 to win 88 so if he raises with any two it's already close to showing a profit. Whatever value his actual hand has probably pushes his play into profitability. This doesn't take into account me having flush draws though.

So what should I be doing when I have 88? Does the math suggest that defending in this situation with top 5% is sufficient? I think so.

Man, what a ramble.

Krishan
Old 02-19-2007, 01:05 PM

Default Re: hi all

i usually call in this spot. turn defines their range much more and your equity vs. their range improves dramaticaly if their range includes a lot of flush draws.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:36 PM

villain has 165 left. I don't see how we can call as he is likely pushing any turn.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:49 PM

I get put in this spot a lot too... I like calling here, and then depending on opponent... c/f or c/c his turn shove.