Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2007, 03:13 AM

Default 10-20 PLO 4000 dollar pot. anyone play this different?

Heads up 10-20 at fulltilt. Its a 6 man table but only 2 players during this hand.

Hero has ~2900.
Villian has ~2000.

He just sat down 10 or 15 hands ago. I know aggressive players are on this forum and make some aggressive calls. But damn this one had me shocked.

I am in the small blind and look down at 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Preflop: I raise to 60. He calls

Flop ($120). K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I bet out because I see no reason to slow play this.

I bet 120. To my surprise -he raises to 480.

Does anyone here just smooth call to disguise my hand and set him up on the turn?

I decide to not fool around and just go all in. He ends up calling with his remaining 1500. He has red K43x. Spikes a 4 on the river. I am stunned that he puts all his money in with this crap.
Old 02-19-2007, 04:37 AM

Default Re: 10-20 PLO 4000 dollar pot. anyone play this different?

very much depends on the opponent... against most I'd smooth call mostly because I know at least one thing:

this guy is willing to raise without the nuts.

on teh turn I'd bet just about any card, paired board I bet 1/4~1/3, defensive and value purposes. if it's blank, I'd just pot it, very bluffy looking to just pot a random blank. I have even had straights call me in this situation.
Old 02-19-2007, 04:46 AM

When he has a lower flush instead and you smoothcall that raise then if the board pairs on the turn either it will kill your action or allow an aggressive player to put you to a tough decision when all he has is a flush. With a lower flush he might actually be more scared of a smoothcall and save the rest of his stack with a smaller flush. And I hope that the real reason you are asking isn't because you wonder if you should just check if the turn brings a "safe" card or not, because you don't have a more vulnerable holding like a straight and you aren't drawing. So jamming the pot on the flop was right.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Heads up 10-20 at fulltilt. Its a 6 man table but only 2 players during this hand.

Hero has ~2900.
Villian has ~2000.

He just sat down 10 or 15 hands ago. I know aggressive players are on this forum and make some aggressive calls. But damn this one had me shocked.

I am in the small blind and look down at 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Preflop: I raise to 60. He calls

Flop ($120). K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I bet out because I see no reason to slow play this.

I bet 120. To my surprise -he raises to 480.

Does anyone here just smooth call to disguise my hand and set him up on the turn?

I decide to not fool around and just go all in. He ends up calling with his remaining 1500. He has red K43x. Spikes a 4 on the river. I am stunned that he puts all his money in with this crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heads up you jam because he doesn't have to put you on what you have. And he didn't.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:39 AM

Sometimes against more observant players you need to slowplay a little bit more HU to stop the match from turning into a 'my hand is bigger than yours' push fest on every flop. Obviously against this guy take him to value town as often as possible.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:41 AM

he called the shove with 6 outs, why are you questioning your play?
Old 02-19-2007, 07:43 AM

Oh also FT is [censored] rigged. Worst hand wins at showdown at least 60% of the time. Blah blah blah chowmiao.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:44 AM

If you stick him in you could be representing the bare Ace of spades, so if heīs reraising say a Queen-high flush for information, then you disguise your hand more efficiently by sticking it in than by flat calling and checking the turn.

Also, if the board pairs, there are some players who will raise that flop with a set (though personally I disagree with the play) so if you flat call youīve given away the strength of your hand (theyīre not gonna put YOU on a set) so they will generally take a free card on the turn if you plan the turn check-raise.

I know this seems artificial, and I may well get slaughtered for this suggestion, but you should actually consider reraising the flop, but not pushing allin. The reasoning behind this move is that a lot of players will do this with the bare ace of spades. e.g. reraise such that if villain pushes ai, itīs another 450-600 onto you. This is because the chances of the success of the bluff arenīt reduced as much as the % of money saved on it.

Usually though, this is a pretty common situation, and my general guideline is that if itīs a good aggressive player or a calling station I push. If itīs a weak overaggressive donkey I smoothcall expecting the turn bet and willing to check-raise ai even if board pairs (as although possible, itīs much more likely a player will raise you on flop as a bluff than with a set).

I think an issue that is confusing the OP is that Villain played the hand so horribly. What you should do is not look at villainīs hand, but rather consider the realistic range. In general, three pairs off the flop should be assigned a percentage change of less than 5% vs non-retarded players I would think. Thus, his range is complete bluff (perhaps flatcall encouraging push), semi-bluff (with a set - push to protect your hand), queen-high,jack-high flush (pushing is correct, as otherwise action will usually go check-check on turn, and bet-fold on river vs an aware opponent, or at best 2/3 pot bet called).

Anyway, end rambling.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think an issue that is confusing the OP is that Villain played the hand so horribly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is everyone so shocked and ready to call this guy a fish b/c he has 3-pair? Not saying he played it right, but he played it better than if he had called here with a flush. Any flush.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think an issue that is confusing the OP is that Villain played the hand so horribly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is everyone so shocked and ready to call this guy a fish b/c he has 3-pair? Not saying he played it right, but he played it better than if he had called here with a flush. Any flush.

[/ QUOTE ]
Villain was about 25% on the flop. OP could have had AsAxXX with no flush. OP could also have top set. I don't think villain has pot odds to call, but it is reasonably close.

Villain is a fish for calling a preflop raise with K43x.