Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2007, 05:02 AM

Default Counterfeited boat

20/40 at da Bike.

Almost everyone at the table is unknown since I rarely play here. But villain in this hand has some history with me from a couple orbits ago. He had opened a pot and I 3-towned him on the button with 88 and we were heads up; flop had an 8 and two diamonds in it, so we went 4 bets on the flop and he check-called the turn and donked a diamond river that paired the board; I raised and he called and I said full house and he did a double take and looked at the board again, sighed, and showed J7 of diamonds.

So he's kind of LAGgy and not great.

Anyway... I raise 2 limpers in MP with red 99. Villain calls on the button, BB calls too.

We go 5-handed to the flop, which is A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (I rule at flopping sets tonight)

Checked to me, I bet, villain calls, one limper calls.

Turn is the 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Limper checks, I bet, only villain calls.

River is the A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Is there any play other than check-call? I don't feel like putting 2 bets in on this river but I also don't want to fold to a raise.
Old 02-18-2007, 05:57 AM

Default Re: Counterfeited boat

The obvious play seems to be check call, but we can't rule out pair hands with one spade in them. He has not shown any agression in the hand so far, which given his turn call is probaly either a weak suited ace or a pocket pair with a spade. I think this is a decision that could be argued either way (it probably helps to be at the table to get a slight read on his reaction), but I would lean to check calling here rather than bet calling a raise. I would also not be comfortable to bet fold the river(as I might vs a normal opponent) b/c you and the villian have a bit of history.
Old 02-18-2007, 12:37 PM

check-call seems like the bets move here. I think more than likely if you bet the river and get raised you're beat already. Check induces a few semi-bluffs with a pair and a flush will definitely bet too.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Check induces a few semi-bluffs

[/ QUOTE ]

There's no such thing as a semi-bluff on the river.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:12 PM

hey joker...
i really have a hard time putting villain on a hand here...if he had an A seems like he would raise the flop, possibly same if he has a flush draw (from his history seems aggro or possibly would try for a free card)...on the turn he might have a flush that is scared of your continued aggression into a paired board and his poor results from the previous hand you played, or he might have a 6 that is scared of the same thing...his hand could also be a Ks9 or TsTx type hand...i think all these hands call a bet on the river, but will prob check if you check...

the only possible hands that i think villain will bet on th e river are total whiffs like if he had KJ w/ a spade or an A, i just don't see a player like him (given your last land) that would not raise the turn w/ a flush but would bet this river with it...same for a 6...

i think the river is a bet/fold...i just really can't see any hand that willain would raise the river with that you beat, i mean, are you repping anything other than an A here? i imagine if you gave the read that he was a total maniac that you should bet/call, but his previous hand doesnt seem out of the ordinary to me (other than a loose open)...bleh...
Old 02-18-2007, 10:47 PM

That's true, I meant a bluff or value bet from a flush or a pair.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:53 AM

I b/f here, I think he's more likely to have a hand like TTs than KsQ or something. I just dont see possible hands that he could bluff with here.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:31 AM

Joker --

I think checking is definitely best unless you think he will very frequently bluff-raise this river. How did he call the turn? Often you can tell whether it's a look-I've-got-a-piece call or a man-I-made-a-hand-but-I'm-still-feeling-snakebit call. I'm inclined to say that he likely would have raised the turn for value with many of the hands worse than 99 that would call a river bet, but there's the snakebite factor and it's a rare guy who (a) clams up like that and (b) has the composure not to show that he's making the clamming-up adjustment. So this is a situation where I'd be unusually dependent on physical information. Anyway, assuming that there wasn't that sort of dynamic, he's unlikely to have a six or a flush, which means that he probably has either the case nine, an ace, or no pair. The latter two cases both call for a check.

So yeah, check and call. I think you got this one right.

--Nate
Old 02-19-2007, 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hey joker...
i really have a hard time putting villain on a hand here...if he had an A seems like he would raise the flop, possibly same if he has a flush draw (from his history seems aggro or possibly would try for a free card)...on the turn he might have a flush that is scared of your continued aggression into a paired board and his poor results from the previous hand you played, or he might have a 6 that is scared of the same thing...his hand could also be a Ks9 or TsTx type hand...i think all these hands call a bet on the river, but will prob check if you check...

the only possible hands that i think villain will bet on th e river are total whiffs like if he had KJ w/ a spade or an A, i just don't see a player like him (given your last land) that would not raise the turn w/ a flush but would bet this river with it...same for a 6...

i think the river is a bet/fold...i just really can't see any hand that willain would raise the river with that you beat, i mean, are you repping anything other than an A here? i imagine if you gave the read that he was a total maniac that you should bet/call, but his previous hand doesnt seem out of the ordinary to me (other than a loose open)...bleh...

[/ QUOTE ]

not sure why i didn't mention it above, but 87 is another hand he might make a stab with on the river...still don't think that is a large enough range of bluffs to check/call...