Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2007, 12:57 AM

Default simple samsung 204b question

Installed the monitor, looks great. I insert the cd and when i click on installing the drivers it asks me to chose between analog or digital, im not sure which one to chose.

do i really need to install the drivers? the monitor already works without them. What about the magic tune and optional programs that come with the cd, do i need em?
Old 02-14-2007, 01:16 AM

Default Re: simple samsung 204b question

I never installed the CD for mine. Just plugged and played. Analog and Digital depends on which cord your using. If your using DVI cord then it would be digital. If not then Analog.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:24 AM

thanks. Another question. I bought a video card because i thought the monitor wouldn't work without it, now that i see that it does im wondering if i should send it back. The specs on the video card says it allows 1600x1200 at 85hz. Currently it says im running the monitor at 60hz refresh rate. Is 60hz enough or is that going to cause me headaches? or is that good enough and i should send the card back?

btw the specs on the card box says i could go as high as 2048x1536 at 60 hz, does the samsung support those resolutions which would allow me to play even more than 4 tables? what is the highest the samsung 204b goes to with a video card?
Old 02-14-2007, 01:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
thanks. Another question. I bought a video card because i thought the monitor wouldn't work without it, now that i see that it does im wondering if i should send it back. The specs on the video card says it allows 1600x1200 at 85hz. Currently it says im running the monitor at 60hz refresh rate. Is 60hz enough or is that going to cause me headaches? or is that good enough and i should send the card back?

btw the specs on the card box says i could go as high as 2048x1536 at 60 hz, does the samsung support those resolutions which would allow me to play even more than 4 tables? what is the highest the samsung 204b goes to with a video card?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think the 204B has a maximum resolution of 1600x1200. I'm not sure of the details, but LCD screens are refreshed in a different way than CRTs, so you probably will be ok with 60 hz. I run my LCD at 60 hz with no problem.

... or maybe it's because of the low refresh rate I'm running so bad... who knows. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-17-2007, 10:46 PM

LCDs are supposed to run at 60 hz.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:57 PM

Installing the drivers gives you some more options under properties for the monitor. The spin software makes it very easy to rotate to the monitor into portrait orienatation, if you aren't going to do that don't worry about it, but reading web pages with 2+ regular screens worth at up at once is very nice. The other software is for dialing in the color. If the monitor works the way you want it to don't worry about the rest. Probably not going to do anything to your system but use up some disk space.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it allows 1600x1200 at 85hz. Currently it says im running the monitor at 60hz refresh rate. Is 60hz enough or is that going to cause me headaches?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
LCDs are supposed to run at 60 hz.

[/ QUOTE ]

bumping up the refresh rate on CRT's == good.
bumping up the refresh rate on LCD's == not good, a waste, or even bad.