Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2007, 09:35 PM

Default Re: BBQ

[ QUOTE ]
Here is the E. NC sauce that has been made in my family for 4 generations.

RT's NC BBQ Sauce Qt. Recipe
1 qt. of Red Apple Cider Vinegar(we prefer Whitehouse)
5 tsp. of Salt
5 tsp. of Sugar
1/4 tsp. of Ground Black Pepper
1 tsp. of Crushed Red Pepper
1/2 tsp. of Cayenne Pepper
1/2 tsp. of Garlic Powder
2 tsp. of Texas Pete Hot Sauce(It must be Texas Pete)

Mix in and let sit up for a few days before pig pickin. Your going to need to make up a good amount depending on how much of the pig your Qing, you start applying it to the pig once you put it on the pit/grill/smoker and at regular intervals until done, obviously have extra for people who want more sauce while eating.

Serve with Hush Puppies, Cornsticks, Brunswick Stew, Potato Salad, Cole Slaw, Baked Beans, Fries etc. etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just wanted to say that we used this recipe this weekend and the sauce was great. If you've never tried a cider vinegar sauce, you are missing out. Thanks Ruff.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:13 PM

I'm also a big fan of Rudy's. Ironically, the one that SottieK mentioned in Albuquerque is directly across from some salad place called Sweet Tomatoes. I was supposed to dine at Sweet Tomatoes with some family, but several of us bolted for Rudy's when we saw it...good decision.

This thread is killing me because here in Cleveland we have nothing comparable. The snow I can live with, but this BBQ thing is my real punishment for leaving Texas in favor of Ohio.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
While you're in Austin, I highly recommend Rudy's here, the self-proclaimed "Worst BBQ in Texas." There are several locations around Austin, and pretty much everything is good. They serve everything on butcher paper, and have lots of different meat and side items you can order. There are even handwashing sinks that you can use. I highly recommend the pork ribs(especially the St. Louis pork ribs) and the chopped beef.

Also, there is a town called Lockhart about 30 miles SE of Austin that seems to be comprised entirely of good BBQ restaurants. If you're looking for the real-deal, Texan barbecue places like you imagine them to be, check this town out.

[/ QUOTE ]
Coffee is spot on about the Austin area Rudy's. I can't vouch for Rudy's in other locations(Waco, Denton, etc.) I'm not really a rib man but everyone must try the St. Louis Ribs at Rudy's. Good lord that meat just peels right off the bone and melts in your mouth. The place is very clean too. The busboys check the bathrooms every 15 minutes and keep them spotless. Also, they have timers next to the employee's sink and wash their hands for at least 30 seconds. I think they might hire illegal aliens though which is the only problem I see with the place. Oh, and skip on Rudy's prime rib, it's very hit or miss, usually miss. The chopped beef is just the scraps from the day before mixed with their sauce. Rudy's uses oak in their smokers.

I used to live in Lockhart, the BBQ Capital of Texas. The best value is Chisolm Trail and they have alot of good homecooked sides. They have a $7 deal where you get a chicken, 3 pints of sides and homemade bread, white bread or crackers. Kreuz Market thinks their meat is so awesome that they don't need to offer sauce. I disagree with that sentiment, but it's still pretty good. I seem to recall that Kreuz' didn't serve brisket, just shoulder. Smitty's serves the best lemonade I've ever had. One of the girls told me it's just half Countrytime and half lemonade. I never went to Black's so I can't comment on that establishment.

If you're visiting in Austin, I don't really think the BBQ in Lockhart is worth the two hour roundtrip, but if you're driving between San Antonio and ATX it's probably worth the slight detour.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:41 PM

That's funny you mentioned saltlick. I've been there... amazing
Old 02-17-2007, 02:00 PM

where is the best bbq in nyc? has anyone been to dinosaur bbq?
Old 02-17-2007, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
North Carolina style vinegar-based BBQ ftw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, hands down. I wish you could find it out here in Cali [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 02-18-2007, 03:11 AM

It's very easy to make.
Old 02-18-2007, 03:14 AM

There's a recipe above and here are couple more :

Fat Johnny's Bastardized Piedmont Sauce

(an outstanding recipe by professional chef "Chez" John Eddy of Topeka, KS. Somewhat similar to Blues Hog Tennessee Red in some ways)

1 quart cider vinegar
12 oz Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 T red pepper flakes
2 T salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp celery seed
2 T Worchestershire sauce
Juice of one lemon
1 T chipotle powder
1 tsp dry mustard
1 T onion powder

Bring to the boil, then simmer for 10-15 minutes. Let cool, and bottle. Great with Carolina style pulled pork BBQ sands.

Or the simpler

Piedmont BBQ sauce

* 1 1/2 cup cider vinegar
* 1/2 cup ketchup
* 1/2 cup water
* 1 tablespoon sugar
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes

Nothing wrong with the second one either - couldn't be easier.
Old 02-18-2007, 03:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm also a big fan of Rudy's. Ironically, the one that SottieK mentioned in Albuquerque is directly across from some salad place called Sweet Tomatoes. I was supposed to dine at Sweet Tomatoes with some family, but several of us bolted for Rudy's when we saw it...good decision.

This thread is killing me because here in Cleveland we have nothing comparable. The snow I can live with, but this BBQ thing is my real punishment for leaving Texas in favor of Ohio.

[/ QUOTE ]

off topic but we used to go to a restaurant called sweet tomatoes that had to change its name to three tomatoes because of this restaurant
Old 02-25-2007, 10:24 PM

Smoque opened in Chicago in December, and the donks at Majestic Star have been buying my ribs & brisket on my way home the last trips. Wanted a second pass before recommending it, and it's pretty darn good. Best I've had in the city proper.