Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2007, 02:45 PM

Default Re: Deep-stacked flop decision

Only time OP is in bad shape is when villian has a set with a better flush draw, a wrap with a better flush draw, or two pair with a better flush draw. That is probably about 10% of his range at most.

Anytime he has any hand that does not include a flush draw OP is in great shape. When he has a bare flush draw OP is in great shape. When he just have something like KK with spades OP is still in good shape. Personally I think it's a no-brainer push if the villian plays as op says he does.
Old 02-16-2007, 03:49 PM

I didn't see the description of the SB. I definitely don't call here. I'm shoving.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:22 PM

Thanks for the input. As I said, I'm just not much of a gambler, and it may very well preclude me from ever being a good (dangerous) big bet poker player.

I thought for a bit on the flop, and the SBs line didn't really strike me as strong: the PF 3-bettor had a ~PSB left on a fairly benign flop for his likely holdings, so I ruled out a set pretty easily. At that point, it struck me as an attempted power play, so I was thinking 2 pr (prob. w/ a straight draw of some sort) or the NFD. While I'd happily get it in against the former, I was too concerned with the latter while being ~300BBs deep. Ultimately, I folded. Bleh.

I think all three decisions are close, and I debated all of them. Folding was the safe and easy play; raising was my initial reaction, and if I were only 100BBs deep, I would have just gotten it in. I think calling has some merit too, but I wasn't sure how to handle a brick on the turn given the pot would have been huge.

Poker Stars
Pot Limit Omaha Ring game
Blinds: $1/$2
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $38
hero: $581.15
CO: $50
Button: $65.40
SB: $564.95
BB: $165.90

Pre-flop: (6 players) hero is UTG+1 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG calls, <font color="#cc0000">hero raises to $9</font>, 2 folds, SB calls, <font color="#cc0000">BB raises to $38</font>, UTG folds, hero calls, SB calls.

Flop: 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($116, 3 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets $113</font>, <font color="#cc0000">BB raises all-in $127.9</font>, hero folds, SB calls.

Turn: 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($371.8, 1 player + 1 all-in - Main pot: $371.8)

River: J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($371.8, 1 player + 1 all-in - Main pot: $371.8)

Results:
Final pot: $371.8

Their hands don't seem to be showing up:
SB: 9d 8c Kh 5s
BB: Ts Ah Ac Ks

My equity pretty much sucked for the main pot, but I had a pretty nice expectation for the (potentially) huge side-pot that I screwed up.

Thanks again,
Steve
Old 02-16-2007, 04:25 PM

Also if you run this hand against a range of wraps you should fine that
it is a solid 55-70% favorite depending on their features.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:47 PM

I was leaning fold or call myself. Q high flush draw with a belly buster staright draw. I don't like it that much with the action on that flop. I would unless I had a good read on the guy get away from it. Who knew they would play with those two crap hands
Old 02-16-2007, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also if you run this hand against a range of wraps you should fine that
it is a solid 55-70% favorite depending on their features.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, during the hand, I knew I was in good shape against most hands. It was the combination of being pretty deep, me being a pussy and not being entirely sure what to read him for that made me chicken out. I'm definitely learning a lot by playing around with twodimes, and it really is amazing how much your equity can change by making (seemingly) small changes in hand/board textures.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:02 PM

When I look at a hand like this, I guess I can't come to understand how some of you better big bet players start assigning hand ranges. Like OP, i must be not much of a gambler.

I see how his range could be pretty wide, given that he just called the RR preflop, but when he leads into a preflop bet and reraiser, for POT, i just dont' get it. my range here would be 0%, because if I did happen to have a 21 outer or top pair, i sure as [censored] checkraise the field becasue one of em will bet.

The way I figure, with TP, gutshot, and Qhigh flush draw, my flush draw has to be good in order for me to even have a chance here. With a preflop raise we are most likely facing AA hands, KK hands, and good DS rundown hands.

I can't get my mind around how my flush draw probably isn't good 80% of the time, and I'm facing bigger st8 draws 100% of the time, and better made hands 100% of the time, at worst 2 pair.

I could certaintly see getting it in if SB hadn't donk potted this OOP. With it, it just doesnt seem like a +ev play.

Can anyone explain this to me. Perhaps its a play in which you have to be a LAG player that most opponents are watching to fully utilize?
Old 02-16-2007, 10:07 PM

I strongly lean toward a push here. flop bettor is too likely on a powerplay with some kind of a draw, a shove here has the benefit of kicking out possible chops maybe even a king high flush draw. It's also probable your pair of 9s beats teh flop bettor.

Calling is the worst option in my opinion, with folding a close second. You paid a lot preflop to see the flop, and flops don't get much better than this for your hand. Time to gamble.

Old 02-17-2007, 02:07 AM

Well from the start it's pretty clear the SB doesn't have a set. That leaves him with two pair, a straight draw, a flush draw, some kind of combo, or worse. OP's hand is in very good shape against all of those and a favorite over a huge part of his range.

The BB is pretty much a non entity in this since we can expect him to call with anything he reraises with, so his hand doesn't really matter much, unless he is the type to fold that flop without the NFD draw or something.

I would guess the flush draw is probably good at least 40-50% of the time, the bigger straight draws don't really matter since hero has a gutshot and blockers, and most of the made hands we are playing against are two pair/one pair w/ straight draw hands that we do very well against.