Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2007, 05:13 AM

Default nl sng hand vs a hyper aggro

So I'm playing a very agressive opponent who is betting constantly, but is still reasonable with folding. I've been mainly folding weak hands, check raising occaisional air, and calling down good hands. Then we get to this:

Hero, 780 chips
Villain, 2220 chips

Hero gets dealt 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and completes, villain raises 3x bb to 90, hero calls.

Flop comes J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Villain bets out 90, half pot.

Is anyone considering anything other than calling all streets until the bets stop coming, at which point we'll make a bet of our own? It seems dumb to shut villain down with a raise here, but part of me doesn't like the feel of just calling down for my stack here, especially if the turn brings an ace, king, or queen.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:55 AM

Default Re: nl sng hand vs a hyper aggro

standard but i'd still consider a flop raise. you don't want him drawing out to some weird hand. i guess it depends on how much he's respecting your raises. if there's a chance he'd continue with the hand or attempt some kind of bluff when you raise, then fire in a raise. if you think he'll insta-fold to a raise...yeah, call then raise turn personally.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:58 PM

Fold preflop with these stacks and a lack of very specific plan / reasons for limp-calling in that spot vs. an aggro opponent. Since you didn't mention anything in OP, I assume this was just "eh, J8, I'll limp", "oh, he raises, I guess I'll call since he's aggro", "J8 beats his range", etc etc.

The flop depends on his turn and river behavior that you should have decent reads on at this point in the match. Its completely useless saying the opponent is very aggro - you need to know approx. how he plays in exact spots to make a good decision. Everyone is hyper on the flop these days, but there is huge distinction in my mind between different opponents' approach to the turn card. Default I'd probably call and check behind / raise the turn, but this is likely not the optimal line against a specific opponent.
Old 02-16-2007, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold preflop with these stacks and a lack of very specific plan / reasons for limp-calling in that spot vs. an aggro opponent. Since you didn't mention anything in OP, I assume this was just "eh, J8, I'll limp", "oh, he raises, I guess I'll call since he's aggro", "J8 beats his range", etc etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

My reasoning was, I know he'll raise just about every time here, and bet flop and turn no matter what if I call flop. So if I hit a pair, I'll get a lot of value from his bluffs, and since jack and 8 are both decent sized, there's less likelihood I'll end up stacking myself because he has a bigger pair. Like if I had K2 or maybe even A2 instead of J8 in this hand, I'd fold, since playing on a pair of 2's would be more likely to get me in trouble.

What sort of hand are you waiting for in a situation like this, or are you playing push or fold at this point, given that he almost always raises?
Old 02-16-2007, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My reasoning was, I know he'll raise just about every time here, and bet flop and turn no matter what if I call flop. So if I hit a pair, I'll get a lot of value from his bluffs, and since jack and 8 are both decent sized, there's less likelihood I'll end up stacking myself because he has a bigger pair. Like if I had K2 or maybe even A2 instead of J8 in this hand, I'd fold, since playing on a pair of 2's would be more likely to get me in trouble.

What sort of hand are you waiting for in a situation like this, or are you playing push or fold at this point, given that he almost always raises?

[/ QUOTE ]

If he's reraising every time, then you're playing a game with blinds of 30 and 90 with a 780 stack. This game favors you. I dunno the exact numbers, but if you're sure he's reraising every time, then fold bottom 30% of hands, and limp/reraise top 70% ought to be close to optimal.