Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2007, 11:25 AM

Default AK on Uncoordinated Board

Sorry, don't have hand history, posting this from memory.

Absolute - 6max .05/.10 NL

Hero dealt AKo on the button.

UTG ($10 stack) min-raises to .20.
MP1&2 fold.
Hero ($5.25 stack) raises to .70.
SB folds.
BB ($12 stack) min-raises to 1.40.
UTG folds.
Hero calls.

Pot = 3.15 (I have $3.85 behind)
Flop: T62 (rainbow)

BB pushes.

?????

-----------------------------------------------

My pre-flop raise/call puts my range in his mind somewhere near:
AK/AQ/AJs/ATs/TT/99/88/77

Pre-flop re-raise, with no history on villian, puts his range at:
AA, KK, QQ, JJ, TT, AK, AQs, AJs

Obviously, AA/KK have me over a barrel.
QQ/JJ gives me 6 outs.
TT has me just about dead.
AK we split.
AQ/AJ I'm good, with him having three outs.

As I write out his range here, the correct play (fold) becomes very obvious, but at the time I couldn't quite get around the fact that he was pushing me off the hand with a weaker AQ/AJ.

In any case, the rest of the hand isn't all that important (stacked by KK... spew).

My real question is this: With AK, facing a OOP re-min-raise, should I have 3bet here pre-flop? Obviously it would have given me a better idea of where I stood in the hand, but usually I'm more apt to call pre-flop because I haven't made my hand yet.

Thanks.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:30 AM

Default Re: AK on Uncoordinated Board

Here's the thing. Not reloading here (i.e. playing short) has put you in a tough situation. Preflop, if you are going to call the 3bet, you will have a little more than a psb left, on the flop, so you should probably just push now. On the flop, as played, I like fold here, but you shouldn't get here often. If you are going to be playing half-stack, be willing to shove preflop w/ AK. You will get called by worse. But the better advice would be to play with a full stack.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:38 AM

Definitely understand that, although there are several reasons for my short-stacking this.

First, bankroll, with only $50 on the site, I'm trying to balance my play between the .05/.10NL and $1-$2 SNG. Until I have over $100 I'm not sure that I'd feel comfortable with that much of my roll on the table. Obviously, this is still my fault, and doesn't make the situation any better, but it's my current situation.

Second, on Absolute, at the .05/.10NL tables, about 75% of people sitting are sitting down with $5, so this particular hand is the exception rather than the rule.

So, assuming I had the same stack as the villian, he's probably not pushing here, but making a $2 sized bet. Although I may have more behind, I'm still leaning towards folding here.

If I would have had a deeper stack, are you recommending a re-raise pre-flop to $4 for information? (Obviously then folding to the push.)
Old 02-16-2007, 12:42 PM

After BB raises, I think you're in push/fold territory. AK likes to see all 5 board cards.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:51 PM

with a bigger stack i call here and hope for a nice board, see with such a little stack calling here will leave you with like 4 bucks... hes betting 3 on the flop ur basically all in. thats why we say push so you have some sort of fold equity
Old 02-16-2007, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
with a bigger stack i call here and hope for a nice board, see with such a little stack calling here will leave you with like 4 bucks... hes betting 3 on the flop ur basically all in. thats why we say push so you have some sort of fold equity

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely noted... looking back on this hand I would definitely have played it differently now.

Just as a sidenote though: How much do you think fold equity is going to come into play at a .05/.10 table? Maybe I'm not giving my opponents enough credit, but I don't see them laying down many hands here TPTK or stronger.

Pushing AKo on a T62r flop will get any pocket pairs under TT to fold, and probably TPMK, but very rarely will anybody be laying down JJ, and definitely not QQ/KK/AA. Pushing after missing this flop doesn't seem to get me much fold equity, as it doesn't do much more than a 1/2pot bet would.

I think my main lesson-learned here is to stay full-stacked at the table, re-raise for information (likely folding to a push afterwards), and stick to fit-or-fold with AK when I'm dealing with a pre-flop raiser. There's no question that I'm behind on this flop after he's re-raised me pre-flop. Unless an A or K hits, I'm not putting in anything more than a cbet.