Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2007, 11:09 AM

Default Detachment

Was browsing the anthologies yesterday and read a couple posts by Gigabet on detachment, non-judgemental reading players, paying attention to every hand dealt at the table.

It was a good post and when I got home I tried his advice, I turned off the other computer, didnt turn on the TV, and took notes and payed attention to the table i was playing.

It was interesting what happened - not only did I find my chip stack going up, but as time went on I became focused, detached, objective in a way. I was making consistently good decisions, without becoming emotionally invested in the outcome of any one hand.

I am just a newcomer, a break even player, still learning this game. When I look back at the times I am playing well, one constant seems to be this feeling of detachment and I'd like to know what players do if anything to encourage this state. When I watch Allen Cunningham, he always seems to be detached. Is my perception correct, or am I off base?

Anyway, would like to hear from others about how they feel when they are doing well at poker, is detachment part of it, does focusing on the other players and taking notes help to detach? Is there anything else that can be done to foster it? sorry if i ramble on a bit
Old 02-16-2007, 12:14 PM

Default Re: Detachment

[ QUOTE ]
It was interesting what happened - not only did I find my chip stack going up,

[/ QUOTE ]

It is fairly easy to feel "detachment" when your stack is going going up. And the fact that it went up is not necessarily a result of "detachment", but probably simply to running good in a specific event.

Detachment is important, but it takes a long while to master it, living through all the great and frustrating swings of poker. It's about knowing your game, and gaining experience. GL.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:38 PM

Default Re: Detachment

any chance you can post the link to the post you are referring to?