Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2007, 04:24 AM

Default AKs flop decision

I feel like there's one post per week that's just like this, but no matter what, I still get tripped up in these spots.

Loose, dumb, donkish, aggro, weird Commerce 20/40 game (I know, redundant, etc.).

A passive below-average-playing lady limps in EP. A TAG raises in the hijack. A loose, aggro dude who has been running mad hot all night and 3-betting a lot goes ahead and 3-bets in the CO. I'm on the button and I find A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I cap it. (Any arguments for a different play?)

EP lady calls 3 more, hijack and CO both call.

4 to the flop for 17SBs.

Flop is T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. EP checks, hijack checks, CO donks.

And I... ?
Old 02-16-2007, 04:25 AM

Default Re: AKs flop decision

call
Old 02-16-2007, 04:28 AM

Sounds like you want to raise here. Need to know more about CO than just his pf tendencies. Tell more about postflop tendencies and then I might advocate a raise. Main problem will be EP limper and pf raiser, 1 of which will probably call 2 cold.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:38 AM

I Like a call here we're probably behind at this point and a raise most likely won't get the pot heads or, or even 3 handed. Also a raise might fold a hand like AQ,AJ,KQ,KJ, which could pay us off should we catch on the turn.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:57 AM

I always have trouble in spots like this too.

My first instinct is to call the flop and then raise a safe turn card (assuming CO bets again), but it depends on how aggro CO is post-flop. IF he could be betting with overcards or a flush draw or something, then I think raising the turn could be good, because if EP or hijack have a ten or something, they might fold the turn to 2 bets cold (even bad players will do this pretty often in a spot like that, I think).

If, however, CO's flop donk means he has at least a pair, I would call the flop with the intention of calling the turn (or possibly folding, depending on the rest of the flop action and the card) if you don't improve...raising the flop isn't likely to get you heads-up anyway, so you might as well see the next card cheaply.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:44 AM

call
Old 02-16-2007, 09:32 AM

I think calling is your worst option, and folding is probably the best. You also have no clue what EP and Hijack have or what they are going to do when action gets back to them. I feel very strongly that in great games like this, you are going to find much better spots to get your money in. You could very well get it heads up (maybe with the best hand) if you raise, but why "gamble" in bad spots like this.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:24 AM

I think raising is bad here - you'll likely only fold out hands you have dominated, or are at least ahead of, and not really improve your chances all that much. Assuming CO's donk means he has something (pair, draw) then you'll probably be better folding. You could easily be drawing dead or very thin, and your outs are pretty dirty. Lots of hands will have redraws on you should you hit your best possible card (non-diamond K) on the turn. If there were any spades in the flop I would call. It's a big pot though, if you knew for sure no one behind you would raise the flop then a peel is probably OK.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think calling is your worst option, and folding is probably the best. You also have no clue what EP and Hijack have or what they are going to do when action gets back to them. I feel very strongly that in great games like this, you are going to find much better spots to get your money in. You could very well get it heads up (maybe with the best hand) if you raise, but why "gamble" in bad spots like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

raising here is awful. why on earth would you want to reopen the betting? a better hand will never fold. ugh.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:11 PM

pot is too big. so both fold/raise are incorrect IMO.