Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2007, 05:52 AM

Default Protecting your action

1/2 No limit dealer's choice.
I have folded UTG.

There is a raise to $10, called by the woman in seat 10, after her there is a reraise to $20 by LP, called by CO and Button.
Then BB reraises to $60 (capping the action).

The orginal raiser folds, seat 10 is holding her cards in her hands and staring at them, long enough for LP, CO, and Button to all call the 60 (they must not have noticed her).
Seat10 then asks "is it capped?", dealer says yes, she calls, and the flop is dealt.

Does she have an obligation to protect her action?
What is the status of her hand after waiting to see the 3 remaining players all act (not too speedily I might add)?
There might be a case that she didn't notice.. but does that even matter?
Old 02-16-2007, 06:11 AM

Default Re: Protecting your action

Ok I might just be tired, but how is it capped if its a 1/2 NL games?
Old 02-16-2007, 10:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok I might just be tired, but how is it capped if its a 1/2 NL games?

[/ QUOTE ] [ QUOTE ]
1/2 No limit dealer's choice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a home game with a cap.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:36 PM

In some places, three raises is a cap regardless of the amounts (provided they are all legal raises).
Old 02-16-2007, 02:06 PM

This question is nearly impossible to answer for two reasons:

1. In No Limit, there is no cap on the number of raises. I have never heard of a game spread like you guys were playing. A 3 raise cap changes the dynamics of NL Hold 'Em dramatically.

2. Perhaps I'm just retarded but I don't understand your question at all.
Old 02-16-2007, 02:28 PM

The fact that the betting was capped really has little to do with the question other than simplifying it since now the woman cannot raise.

I don't think the woman has done anything wrong here unless she hid her cards or moved them to a place where they would be considered a dead hand. Everyone else acted out of turn. She can call or fold.
Old 02-16-2007, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

1. In No Limit, there is no cap on the number of raises. I have never heard of a game spread like you guys were playing. A 3 raise cap changes the dynamics of NL Hold 'Em dramatically.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh man, you've never experienced the thrill of NL Texas Holdem at Caesars AC have you? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-16-2007, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh man, you've never experienced the thrill of NL Texas Holdem at Caesars AC have you? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

No... I feel sorry for anyone that picks up Aces in late position on a loose night in that game... I think I'd just muck 'em if the betting was capped 4 or 5 way to me :P
Old 02-16-2007, 03:40 PM

Not sure why people can't figure out a cap. Not even the main part of the question. Just imagine it. 3 raises, no more raises. Pretty simple. Who cares what the 'norm' is. This is the way they're playing it.

Yes, her hand is live. What are you going to do, kill it? Force her to call? No. She wasn't on a clock or anything, no one called time on her.

Now if she wants to reraise, that's an issue. Some will say since there is action behind, she may only be able to just call and not raise.

It can suck because sometimes the person doesn't really get time to act, and everyone acts behind you. So it can go both ways. Sometimes, the people behind, if they're known as anglers, will be forced to keep in their bets though she still gets the option to raise. Otherwise it can encourage someone to raise out of turn, then upon backing up the action, folding if someone now raises ahead of them.

b
Old 02-16-2007, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not sure why people would play in an NL game with a cap.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is just silly. If you're in late position, you could go all four betting rounds without an option to raise!