Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2007, 12:15 AM

Default 20/40 Live vs. Tricky Player

Villain (UTG) in this hand has fancy play syndrome, likes to raise UTG with J/T off suit and ck raise with gut shot str8 draws. Other than that, he does play relatively okay when he isnt trying to make too many plays. SB in this hand is a very tight player.

UTG raises, all fold, I 3 bet with A/K off suit on the button. SB calls cold and UTG calls.

Flop is 2/3/4, rainbow. Cked to me and I bet. Both players call. Turn is a blank, ck, ck and I decide to ck.

River is an 8. UTG donks into me and I raise.

Thoughts?
Old 02-16-2007, 12:18 AM

Default Re: 20/40 Live vs. Tricky Player

I would bet the turn. The river raise seems worthless. You're not representing anything and you have a better hand than SB almost always. When you don't, it's rare that he's folding.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:33 AM

I don't like this play at all. What are you trying to represent here? If you think your hand is good (which I doubt) just call, no need to raise. You are not going to get UTG to muck a better hand the way you played this. How could the 8 have helped you and if your hand was already made, why would you check the turn against 2 opponents? It just doesn't add up at all.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:45 AM

You have to bet the turn. Low flop + blank turn = likely still ahead. Once you check, on the river it's extremely obvious that you don't have a pair, so there's no point in raising. You don't have to worry about raising to get SB to fold, because he's folding anyway. If he had anything, he would have bet the river after the turn checked through. If UTG folds to your raise, it just means that you had him beat anyway, and if he calls, you're screwed.
Old 02-16-2007, 03:55 PM

Why did you check the turn?
Old 02-16-2007, 03:59 PM

what is a "blank" turn card on that board? bet the turn.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:50 PM

Are you raising for value, and to make the SB possibly fold a pocket pair? then your odd play just may work, but otherwise it doesn't add up. If you read both players as no pair, then it is a brilliant play obviously.

If it's a bluff (trying to represent an overpair) it doesn't add up and expect a confused call, since you didn't bet the turn.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:51 PM

fold better than raise better than call
Old 02-17-2007, 07:48 PM

Interesting hand!

I think the river raise was your best shot to win if the small blind is weak tight - in a perfect world SB folds and UTG calls with AQ, right? - but I think you lose. The preflop action tells you SB has a good hand; his flop cold-call suggests a pocket pair (whether or not he set up) rather than two big cards. I suspect SB calls (or raises) and takes the pot.

Best regards,
Jogger
Old 02-17-2007, 08:21 PM

I do this sort of stupid [censored] all the time and it always results in wasting 2 bets. The very rare times they fold I'm sure that I had the best hand. Take my advice and don't do this. If you did this against me I'd call with any pair and probably three bet with everything that can't beat AK because your hand looks like exactly what it is. The good news is that bad players won't push you off their hand, they'll just call with any pair and win anyway.