Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2006, 12:02 AM

Default Went to Foxwoods on Monday Feb. 13th and got owned

I was getting tired of playing hold'em and thought I learn to play Limit Omaha H/L. I've been playing a for about a month online with some success. In my infinite wisdom, I wanted to play live so I went to Foxwoods. The first table got started around 11:30 am. It was 2-4 and couldn't get decent starting cards. With the rake at $4 for $40, I steadily watched my chips go down. I think I scooped one pot and split two others in 4 hours. A lady at the table said the rake is rediculous and I should try the 5-10 w/ full kill if it gets started. She went on to say that once I play I'd never go back to a lower level. At about 4:30 pm, the 5-10 game got started and I went to try it. Big mistake. I didn't realize until it was to late that I was in over my head.

For all you folks that have seen Rounders when all the friends are sitting at the Taj...I sat down with a similar group of people. I knew it right away, but was not concerned due to their age (see below). Within a couple of minutes, I won a pot and thought things were going to improve. Then I made a few mistakes, chased a few hands that never developed and after about three hours, I lost my limit for the day. I picked up my four one dollar chips I had left in front of me and left the table.

It seems to me that playing online, I seem to get quality starting hands on a more frequent basis. When I got decent starting hands to play, I seemed to miss the flop completely or caught just enough to make me chase (two pair, nut low, etc.)

I learned a few lessons playing omaha live for the first time. That was the whole reason I wanted to play. It was a total of a $200 lesson by some really nice and friendly people whose average age was easly 60 years old. Think of Rounders for seniors. It was like being invited to someone elses home game. I don't mean to offend anyone, I'm just stating a fact. So I will go back with more experience and try to win my money back from this crew (lol). Until next time, peace.

BTW, if the other young guy at the table who "made a funny" reads this, don't be such a smug, I am smarter than you prick. Seriously, drop the attitude.
Old 02-15-2006, 12:23 AM

Default Re: Went to Foxwoods on Monday Feb. 13th and got owned

Sorry bout the bad luck. Personally, I consider live poker play to be extinct for anything more than pure entertainment. After playing online I just can't sit at a table for so long and not play . . . it leads to stuff like you describe: sticking with hands you know you shouldn't, etc.
Old 02-15-2006, 02:34 AM

Is the 'old people' phenomenon a typical live Omaha 8 thing? When I played at the Taj last month (the only time I've ever played live) I was the only person under 50 in the 5/10 + kill game most of the night - save the occassional kid who'd walk by and see an open seat while he was waiting for NLHE and decide to play for a few rounds, before he realized he didn't have a clue . . .

Around 2:30 in the morning, the game switched as a few young maniacs joined in and the old people slowly left for bed.

BTW, I'll take the old passive people any day of the week. I was up about $500 playing with them, lost it all and another $150 before rallying to leave up $150 for the 15-hour session.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:57 AM

My experience is just the opposite. I find the live 2/4 game at Taj to be looser than any game above .50/1 on party. Even the higher games are pretty good. Since you have to wait so long for the next hand in live O8 games, many people cannot resist taking a flyer on speculative hands. Then, the pot is so big that they continue after the flop mostly misses them. Some people will never fold 2-pair, no matter what the board look like.

If you are not getting cards in a live game, you better enjoy watching donks play. Just figure out who the donks are and play a solid game. You can call preflop with speculative hands, but you want pot odds and you want the flop to hit you hard.

Effen
Old 02-15-2006, 11:16 AM

This is my experience with the 2/4 game at the Taj too. Family pots consistently; people literally playing any 4 cards.

The problem is ... it's 2/4.