Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Is the Tactic of Fighting to Keep Tom Delay's Name on Texas Ballots Ethical?
No, it is not ethical. 17 60.71%
Yes, it is ethical. 6 21.43%
Neither 5 17.86%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-15-2007, 10:19 PM

Default Re: Is this considered offensive?

I thought the Dexter character was done quite well. The accent never seemed to falter even as the words spilled out a mile a minute.

I personally could care less about black face. I can understand if some people are offended. I wouldn't worry about it. If everyone conducted their lives in a manner where no one was ever offended it would be the end of comedy.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I personally could care less about black face.

[/ QUOTE ]i was going to respond, but then i saw you loc.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:23 PM

I didn't find it offensive. I thought it was a silly little skit, a bit corny, but not offensive in content.

However, I can see how some people might feel that it was.

Part of the problem is context. The clip you show has Eddie Murphy in it. Eddie is obviously cool with Dan Ackroyd's character, so people are less likely to be uncomfortable with it.

I think that the problem is that there's a long tradition of insensitive performers doing impressions or 'characters' that are based upon identifying the ways in which minorities are 'different' from the majority, and holding those differences up to ridicule as the sole basis of their humour.

Minorities have tended to find such portrayals demeaning and object strenuously. I think that people see your portrayal, and it seems to hark back to that tradition, so even if the content isn't actually offensive, it seems to be referring to a time when those sorts of portrayals tended to be at best, insensitive, and at worst offensive.

See, for example Jim Davidson and Bernard Manning

I think that few comedians do that kind of schtick today for precisely these reasons.

Jim Davidson clip here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlACLa4042o

Bernard Manning clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4uVYyPemPc
Old 02-15-2007, 10:26 PM

damn, eddie murphy used to be soooo funny...such a good movie...MERRY NEW YEAR...
Old 02-15-2007, 10:30 PM

Daniel,

Your skit was funny and wasn't offensive at all imo. And to answer your question there is NO differnece between what you did and the Trading places clip in terms of being offensive. Just be yourself. If you try to please everyone you'll be something totally different than what you are. I've found in life that when you speak your mind and take some risks (such as your skit), you wind up with probably a few less friends than if you tried to please everyone. But, the friends you do have truely like you for who you are and are way better friends. The last thing anyone needs are a bunch of phonies around them.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:30 PM

Was anyone actually offended or did people just think it was offensive (if that makes sense)?
Old 02-15-2007, 10:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Was anyone actually offended or did people just think it was offensive (if that makes sense)?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are no Jamaicans on 2+2
Old 02-15-2007, 10:38 PM

Doing stereotypical racial impressions is not only retarded from a PR point of view, but is also 1940's level comedy ala "Charlie Chan" and isn't winning anyone over. I think Daniel's asian impersonations are way more demeaning than this one.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:39 PM

offensive to me? no. offensive to others? probably. we live in a world where someone, somewhere, is offended by whatever you do. people love to be offended for some reason, makes them feel powerful or better to believe they are on some kind of moral high ground. most times they are just being a nit

while i didn't think your video was funny, it certainly wasn't offensive to most people that aren't in the above category, imo.

btw, post on the MTT/poker forums whydontcha, why limit yourself to just this avenue, i for one would like to hear your thoughts on a ton of hands/threads [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-15-2007, 11:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There are no Jamaicans on 2+2

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]!!!