Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2007, 11:01 PM

Default Re: My Snow Day Rant

Good Post AK, I can relate.
Old 02-15-2007, 03:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've heard this from several people and to be honest, I don't get this a lot. For those who have met me though, I don't think I'm your normal asian. I was raised very different than most asians and I think I approach many things differently than most.

[/ QUOTE ]

I also believe that I am not the normal Asian. For most of my early childhood I was raised in the south. After moving around five times I eventually ended up in the suburbs of Chicago; which has seen an explosion in the Korean population.

The constant moving, and not being able to settle down, created a solid base for my character: independent, never reliant upon others to make up who I am. Most Koreans or Asians in general, seem to be very dependent upon their peers. The way they feel self-satisfied is to get the support and respect of their peers. This is why you see many Asian Americans hanging out in "groups." These groups lead the way these Asian Americans identify themselves. Their thinking becomes too watered down, leading to a very routine and narrow point of view in life. I am not saying this applies to almost every Asian, but a majority. This narrow and routine point of view in life has hindered many Asians to advance on the way they think about poker. The typical Asian American finds that the Asian community views poker as a constant form of gambling. Because the typical Asian American is dictated by the view that is most accepted in the Asian community, it shapes the way they approach the game; loose and reckless plays, which is heavily weighed in risking chips on draws. They accept this pre-determined destiny in the cards, and feel they need to take constant gambles in order to win in poker.

I believe that an important way to improve in the game of poker is to be able to do a self-analysis myself. How do I act on the outside with what I really believe in the inside? Do I really need to act the way I do at the table just to fit this image I have created for myself? There are many questions to be asked. But, only we can truly figure out the right questions for ourselves. After we figure out the right questions and answer them accordingly, then it is the right step to viewing the game of poker in a different light. It leads to better bankroll management skills, tilt factor, style of play, the way I view at opponents, and others.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:54 AM

Well thought out. It's not really the point of this post, but I agree with most of what you said.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:14 AM

The fact of the matter is that people do not want to take responsibility for their mistakes for whatever reason. To be honest...I think that many of them simply do not realize that THEY have made the mistake in the first place. It's much easier to find fault with others. I have played in a few pro sports and found this to be true in each of them. People are quick to blame their equipment, the weather, other players...but seldom look inward for answers.
The most successful individuals in life and in sport are the ones who can identify weaknesses, lose occasionally and pick themselves up dust off and work to improve. When we tilt we are focusing on the past instead of living in the NOW. What can we do about a bad beat that happened 4 hands ago? NADA.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In the end, all luck equals out

Alex

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah yes, isn't it pretty to think so.
Old 02-15-2007, 02:20 PM

lol
Old 02-15-2007, 02:44 PM

holla AK
Old 02-15-2007, 09:48 PM

These guys you talk about aren't worth your time.

Tks for the link to Justin's post but all in all a waste of a read!