Old 02-15-2007, 03:26 PM

Default 200NL Trouble with them jacks - three hands

1)
Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $1/$2
9 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is UTG+1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $8</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, 2 folds, Button calls, <font color="#cc0000">SB raises to $20</font>, BB folds, Hero calls, MP2 calls, Button calls.

Flop: 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($82, 4 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets $32</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#cc0000">MP2 raises all-in $139.45</font>, Button folds, <font color="#cc0000">SB raises to $246.9</font>, Hero folds.

I have $200 in my stack this hand. The SB is very loose and probably bad at poker. I didn't want to let go of my hand when there was a good chance it was still good. But somehow i ended up losing 1/4 of my stack and didn't show my hand down. Is the call okay? Will the 3bettor fold AK often enough to get my heads up against the bad player where I feel my hand is best?

2)
Poker Stars
7 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (7 players) Hero is MP1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $6</font>, 2 folds, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop: 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($14, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets $10</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $30</font>, <font color="#cc0000">SB raises to $60</font>, Hero folds.

Effective stacks $215. This player is fairly loose preflop, but didn't seem too crazy. ON the flop, I raised for information/thought my hand was best. But then when i got 3bet I changed my mind. But maybe TT bluffed me? Or I missed out on on spiking a set on the turn? This line felt right at the time but not sure about it now. How is calling down the 3bet and calling a turn shove - do they always have a set or AA?

3)
Poker Stars
8 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (8 players) Hero is CO with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG calls, 2 folds, MP2 calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $8</font>, 3 folds, UTG calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($27, 3 players)
UTG checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $16</font>, UTG calls, MP2 folds.

Turn: Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($59, 2 players)
UTG checks, Hero checks.

River: 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($59, 2 players)
UTG checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $12</font>

The effective stack in this hand is only $125. Is this a hand I should try to play for the 60BBs against UTG by betting all three streets?
Would it be better to bet big on the turn? He can't have a queen can he? Is giving a free card to straight draws a big deal?
In this hand I'm trying to extract some value from very weak hands on the river. Do you guys like making a pot sized value bet on the river that someone might "sniff out a bluff" and call or make a smaller bet like I did? Is it likely he has a boat or a nine and is trying to CR the river?
Old 02-15-2007, 07:22 PM

Default Re: 200NL Trouble with them jacks - three hands

Hand 1) When I call the re-raise preflop with JJ it's for set value. We probably just have enough implied odds for that here. It is very tempting to call that weak flop cbet. Maybe it's best to fold though with MP2 still to be heard from as well. Obviously fold 2nd time around. Tough spot.

Hand 2) This seems ok, fold to the 3bet. We're only ahead of 99, TT and behind set, AA, KK etc. An alternate line could be flat call flop, re-evaluate turn. Maybe that's a better line, I'm not sure.

Hand 3) First off, I'd raise a little more pre-flop. 4bb +1 per limper is standard so that'd be $12. I'd bet a little more on flop, $20-£22ish maybe. Turn check is good I think. Check river also, board's getting worse for our hand. That's somewhat of a thin value bet and IMO not worth the risk of getting check-raised.