Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2007, 04:48 PM

Default Re: Support our Troops?

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like or support the "War on Drugs".
That doesn't mean I want cops killed.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh yeah?
Old 02-15-2007, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tremblay theorem:
If you don't question the morality of your actions, YOU ARE PART OF THE [censored] PROBLEM

[/ QUOTE ]

They do question the morality of their action when they enlist. They make the decision to follow the will of the civilian population; through the hierarchy of the electoral process; and through the military chain of command. They're just placing the collective moral judgement of the nation ahead of their own. Nothing wrong with that, you do the same thing when you willfully obey the speed limit.
Old 02-15-2007, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

When you join the army it means that you will follow the orders of your senior. No matter what they are.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong.
Old 02-15-2007, 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Tremblay theorem:
If you don't question the morality of your actions, YOU ARE PART OF THE [censored] PROBLEM

[/ QUOTE ]

They do question the morality of their action when they enlist. They make the decision to follow the will of the civilian population; through the hierarchy of the electoral process; and through the military chain of command. They're just placing the collective moral judgement of the nation ahead of their own. Nothing wrong with that, you do the same thing when you willfully obey the speed limit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoa. The "will of the civilian population"??? I don't know about you, but I certainly don't include "killing a bunch of innocent people on the other side of the planet" as part of my will. Yet off they go.

Hint: "the nation" has no moral judgement. Individuals do. And they are not in unanimous agreement. So stop pretending they are.
Old 02-15-2007, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Tremblay theorem:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoa. The "will of the civilian population"??? I don't know about you, but I certainly don't include "killing a bunch of innocent people on the other side of the planet" as part of my will. Yet off they go.

Hint: "the nation" has no moral judgement. Individuals do. And they are not in unanimous agreement. So stop pretending they are.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what you mean by, "off they go". The military doesn't just head on over to wherever they want and do whatever they want. They're told where to go by a democratically elected representative. And with that elected representative, there's no unanimous part about it - it's who the majority decided. If the people really don't like what their elected representative is doing, they can impeach him, or wait four years and replace him.
Old 02-15-2007, 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Tremblay theorem:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what you mean by, "off they go". The military doesn't just head on over to wherever they want and do whatever they want. They're told where to go by a democratically elected representative. And with that elected representative, there's no unanimous part about it - it's who the majority decided.

[/ QUOTE ]

So what was that about the will of the civilian population? Apparently, what actually determines it is the will of some monkey in washington.

[ QUOTE ]
If the people really don't like what their elected representative is doing, they can impeach him, or wait four years and replace him.

[/ QUOTE ]

O RLY?

How do I do that? I voted once, but the next day the same bozos were there. I thought I could replace them?!
Old 02-15-2007, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I voted once, but the next day the same bozos were there. I thought I could replace them?!

[/ QUOTE ]

pvn's choice was not elected. Therefore, democracy is wrong. There is no chance that pvn is wrong.
Old 02-15-2007, 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I voted once, but the next day the same bozos were there. I thought I could replace them?!

[/ QUOTE ]

pvn's choice was not elected. Therefore, democracy is wrong. There is no chance that pvn is wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, the assertion that "you can change your elected representative" is wrong. "Your" representative *can* be changed, but it's not up to *you*.
Old 02-15-2007, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Your" representative *can* be changed, but it's not up to *you*.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who is it up to?
Old 02-15-2007, 07:04 PM

You+