Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2007, 02:22 PM

Default Re: Selling my action (not an offer just a question)

The best thing you could do is to get together with a few of your friends or make friends with a few other that plan to play. You partner up and share your winnings, if any.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lol, we met at a live donkament right? are you talking about there or have we been playing online recently?

[/ QUOTE ]

I sat one seat to your left at the very begining of day 3 of the PCA. Some asian guy on the button raises you flat call out of the sb i shove for like 110k out of the bb asain guy folds u insta call with AQ which destroyed my A8. GG me
Old 02-14-2007, 07:11 PM

hey ike, sorry, i misread your original post. it looks like you already have someone interested in buying your action but youre not sure what a fair arrangement is. i havent seen you play but from what i would understand, your ROI in 10k tournaments should be 100% or better if they are on the east coast. the west coast 10k events might have a 50% roi or lower. the wsop main events roi should be higher than an east coast events.

what roi you should be getting has alot to do with your bankroll. the bigger your bankroll, the less ev you should be willing to give up to get staked. say player A has a bankroll of 300k with a 150% ROI and player B has a bankroll of 1M with a 100% ROI, player B might settle for a deal where he gets 70% of his earnings where player A might settle for a deal where he only gets 50%. this is because of the bankroll disparity.

also, determining the rate of the staking deal will depend on whether it will be a long term or short term arrangement. if you look at it from a theoretical standpoint, if a player has a 1% ROI but were to play in infinity tournaments, he could ask for a deal of 99% after makeup and it would be a good deal for the backer because after infinity tournaments, the player would have fully realized his 1% ROI and the backer would have made money. this means that if your ROI was 49% you could ask for 50% after makeup if you were to play an extended amount of tournaments. however, if your ROI was 49% you couldnt ask for a deal of 50% if the deal was for only 1 tournament as the backer would then be losing an ev of 1%.

of course, the complicated part is that its hard to accurately estimate your ROI and therefore its difficult to determine the fairest deal for the backer and the backee. im asking for 50% after makeup and my bankroll is smaller than yours and your projected income should be higher than mine. your ROI is probably higher than mine as well. i dont really know what backers are offering because everyone seems to keep that information hush hush, but if i were you id want like 70% after makeup and 50% per tournament at minimum. but after your PCA cash, if you didnt have to shell out any of your winnings to anyone, i would just buyin to all the tournaments this year myself. if you have a losing year from this point on you can offset your buyins from your previous win on your taxes.
Old 02-15-2007, 06:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
. i havent seen you play but from what i would understand, your ROI in 10k tournaments should be 100% or better if they are on the east coast. the west coast 10k events might have a 50% roi or lower. the wsop main events roi should be higher than an east coast events.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this really true for a very good player? I haven't played many big events, but based on the $300 - $1500 events I've been in I'm surprised that the west coast would be that much tougher. Are you talking LA too, or just Vegas events, b/c every type of game I've played so far in the LA area seems to be great. Or is it just b/c so many of the top pro's live in LA and Vegas that they'll almost all show up for the big events out there?

Also, I always thought that in those big events with great structures that a really good player would have much more than 50% ROI. Seems like if that's what a great player is making, then normal good players must have ROI's so low that they'd need ridiculous bankrolls. Though I suppose that's why so many pro's have stakes in one another.
Old 02-15-2007, 02:18 PM

Ike, we talked about this. I gave you the #ers I thought. Thinking more on it, your ROI is higher then what I initially said. and TStone comes mumch closer to what the numbers should actually be. Except the West Coast tourneys are practically as easy as the East Coast ones. LEss super extreme fish, but more old nits that will make day 2 always and cash never.
Old 02-15-2007, 05:44 PM

the % they get per dollar obviously depends on your ROI, but assuming you are a high ROI player (i think this is a safe assumption, regardless of your small tournament sample size, given my understanding that you crush hsnl), i think selling at $.70-$.80/$1 is about right, i think. so if you sold 100% of your buyin you'd have like 20-30% of yourself, depending on whatever arrangement you work out with your backer.

this has at least been the arrangement i've used, but i should qualify that these have always been short-term staking things (like for anywhere between 1-5 tournies), never a long-term deal. i'm not sure if those arrangements differ, you might PM johnnybax or someone like that with a lot of experience in staking and ask them.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:49 PM

To me, the more relevant question for the OP is what the market will bear. The best stake would buy him in for no risk and give up a % of the winnings with a cap. That is starting to sound more like a loan than an equity position. So if you are really confident, you may want to consider those options (with the risk of repayment).

I did a quick search for "poker staking" and there were several sites. Obviously, your own private network is the easiest in terms of getting someone to trust you on a handshake deal.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
lol, we met at a live donkament right? are you talking about there or have we been playing online recently?

[/ QUOTE ]

I sat one seat to your left at the very begining of day 3 of the PCA. Some asian guy on the button raises you flat call out of the sb i shove for like 110k out of the bb asain guy folds u insta call with AQ which destroyed my A8. GG me

[/ QUOTE ]

I was at that table too, seat 7 or so right beside nenad (huge serbian guy). Ike, I guarantee you have a huge edge in most live tournaments so definitely don't take some awful dollar for dollar staking. The couple staking arrangements I've made for 10k events were backer(s) pay 8k and get 2/3rds of winnings, you pay 2k get 1/3. I think that's reasonably fair but I'm not 100% sure. Like someone else said, trading %'s with friends (who play well) is a good idea too.

Steve
Old 02-19-2007, 12:59 PM

Mark Blade's book has what appears to be a fairly thorough section on staking arrangements.