Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2007, 11:42 PM

Default Pre-flop hand odds question

Apologies if I've put this in the wrong forum, but wasn't quite sure where it belonged.

Can anyone tell me what the minimum pot odds have to be in limit hold'em to justify playing ANY 2 cards?

eg at my (hypothetically very loose) 10-handed table, if I'm in the SB with 72o, everyone has called the big bet, and I think it's unlikely the BB is going to put in a raise, surely I'd be justified in calling the big bet when I'm being offered 19-1 odds?

Perhaps I'm missing a vital point here, or have come over extremely fishy, but would appreciate hearing any advice on this...
Old 02-15-2007, 12:32 AM

Default Re: Pre-flop hand odds question

fold. the end
Old 02-15-2007, 12:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
eg at my (hypothetically very loose) 10-handed table, if I'm in the SB with 72o, everyone has called the big bet, and I think it's unlikely the BB is going to put in a raise, surely I'd be justified in calling the big bet when I'm being offered 19-1 odds?

[/ QUOTE ]

72o is worse than 22:1 against to win the pot at showdown against 9 random hands, and it probably plays worse than its showdown value implies, so even more reason to pitch it.
Old 02-15-2007, 02:31 AM

http://www.gocee.com/poker/HE_Value.htm

This link gives the percentage of pots won for every hand against 1 to 9 opponents. From those numbers you can calculate the appropriate pot odds. But as Zele said keep in mind that with many of those hands you won't be able to call a bet on the flop and therefore have a lesser win rate than indicated because you miss out on all the runner-runner wins.
Old 02-15-2007, 02:43 AM

Cheers Louis, that chart was exactly the type of thing I was looking for.

Didn't have any plans to start regularly playing 72o from any position, but was just curious as to when more marginal holdings become valuable.