Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2007, 10:04 PM

Default Re: DN\'s momma needs a spliff

So not funny
Old 02-14-2007, 10:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not everyone thinks it's funny, which is totally cool and unimportant. What is important, is that my Jamaican friends think it's funny and the guy that I was imitating loved it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Daniel, do you really believe that? You are a public personality with a career that you want to thrive, so it's actually largely irrelevant what your own Jamaican friends think of it, and very relevant how your fan-base perceives it.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Not everyone thinks it's funny, which is totally cool and unimportant. What is important, is that my Jamaican friends think it's funny and the guy that I was imitating loved it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Daniel, do you really believe that? You are a public personality with a career that you want to thrive, so it's actually largely irrelevant what your own Jamaican friends think of it, and very relevant how your fan-base perceives it.

[/ QUOTE ]lol
he likes to do impressions and did a good jamaican one. it's not a big deal...
Old 02-14-2007, 10:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Daniel Said: Not everyone thinks it's funny, which is totally cool and unimportant. What is important, is that my Jamaican friends think it's funny and the guy that I was imitating loved it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, sure. Why don't you just email it them then instead of making it public? Because that wouldn't bring you the attention you so crave, would it?

And enough with your "I vetted it with leaders of the Jamaican and Black Communities because I'm so sensitive" BS, you've demonstrated many times your utter lack of caring about what others think. You "shoot from the hip", remember? Isn't that the image you and your handler agreed upon?

Really, your rationalization of your actions versus your hypocritical condemnation over others' very similar actions is grating. Stick to your own forum dedicated to the greatness of you if you want the validation you so seek.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. not funny
2. not offensive
3. as creepy as white chicks

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree that the video isn't funny and i'm also not offended by it. but, i would understand if someone else was. i also think that white chicks is funny and not offensive. the main difference i see is that daniel is not a pure comedian (sorry evy - loved you announcing the WSOP lowball final table, but you are wrong here) and the wayans brothers are. i'm surprised that people advising daniel didn't stop him from posting this video because of its possible impact on future mainstream advertising and endorsement dollars let alone its racial/social/religious insensitivity.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Daniel do you really believe that? You are a public personality with a career that you want to thrive, so actually, it's fairly irrelevant what your own Jamaican friends think of it, and very relevant how your fan-base perceives it.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I don't think it's irrelevant whether my Jamacian friends think of it, nor do I think it's irrelevant what others think. Some people liked it, some people didn't. That's totally cool.

I guess what I should have said, is the fact that my buddies like it, mskes me comfortable doing it around them. If everyone hated it, then yeah, I'd stop doing it.

As for the whole "public persona" aspect, I would think that anyone who knows me understands that it's just not a major concern of mine. I don't do things based on, "Well, this would be good for my image. Let me stand next to some poor kids and take pictures of me handing them money. It's a good PR move, let's do it."

If I lived like that I wouldn't be able to look myself in the mirror. I've never been one to shy away from offering an opinion, despite knowing full well that many people will disagree with it and their view of me could change based on said opinion.

This whole experience has taught me a lot about race relations in this country. It's really messed up and bizarre when I do a skit like that, laugh with my black friends, only to have several white people tell me that it's "racist" and "blackface."
Old 02-14-2007, 10:28 PM

Fair enough, Daniel, if you and some others thought it was funny, that is justification enough for its existence (being serious, not sarcastic). I was never really offended by the material, but by how un-funny I thought it was.

From a fan's perspective, I think you need a better producer or editor or something for this sketch content, if you want your name to continue to be synonymous with quality.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:28 PM

This was harmless fun, you guys are overreacting. Nobody can say or do anything nowadays without a bunch of drama queens jumping down their throats claiming racism and discrimination. Shut up whiners!

I love the video blog Daniel,keep up the good work!
Old 02-14-2007, 10:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This was harmless fun, you guys are overreacting. Nobody can say or do anything nowadays without a bunch of drama queens jumping down their throats claiming racism and discrimination. Shut up whiners!

I love the video blog Daniel,keep up the good work!

[/ QUOTE ]

UGH and nobody can level criticism "nowadays" or be offended without being labeled a "drama queen" or PC. Seriously, what's wrong with discourse and differences of opinion?
Old 02-14-2007, 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fair enough, Daniel, if you and some others thought it was funny, that is justification enough for its existence (being serious, not sarcastic). I was never really offended by the material, but by how un-funny I thought it was.

From a fan's perspective, I think you need a better producer or editor or something for this sketch content, if you want your name to continue to be synonymous with quality.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's just a blog, it's not like it's an actual product or anything. Just something silly that I thought I'd throw together and hopefully some people got a kick out of it.

Obviously not offended to offend so many white people, oh and black people if any blacks were offended.

It's boggled my mind all day because I am genuinely shocked at the reaction. If that was on television in Canada, it wouldn't get any reaction at all. So many similarities between Canada and the U.S., but man, so many significant differences as well.

I guess the Canadian comedy smash about a Muslim family wouldn't go over very well in the U.S.