Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2007, 09:48 PM

Default Re: RIVER TIME!!!!!

you think this guy only donks a Jack ... [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 02-14-2007, 09:56 PM

I would have thought he had either PP, 4-5H, J-x, or like KQs after the flop. After missing the opportunity for information at the turn by checking, I would now call with a half disgusted look on my face wondering how I fell asleep at the turn while holding position the whole hand. A bet at the turn narrows down the above hands and clues you in to what his bet on the river represents. Your check precludes you from knowing and dooms you to some formula in your head. You could raise but the point is same info was cheaper earlier.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would have thought he had either PP, 4-5H, J-x, or like KQs after the flop. After missing the opportunity for information at the turn by checking, I would now call with a half disgusted look on my face wondering how I fell asleep at the turn while holding position the whole hand. A bet at the turn narrows down the above hands and clues you in to what his bet on the river represents. Your check precludes you from knowing and dooms you to some formula in your head. You could raise but the point is same info was cheaper earlier.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree ... if you check the turn, I would probably call the river ...

i bet the turn ... for value more than information though (against this guy)
Old 02-14-2007, 10:18 PM

I was comparing yr guy to the example where the guy was described as weak/tight so he would'nt have had J-rag. In the original example the AA checks the turn and then his tight/weak player bets the river after it misses any flush/strt draws. That is why we crossed wires. I see where you were going on your hand and I agree that do just have to let the case beat you if it can.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

IF you check the turn you MUST call the river.

If you checked out the EV calc, you can now see that checking the turn against a tight player who will bluff bet the river is the correct thing to do in this spot.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you checked out the EV calc, you can now see that checking the turn against a tight player who will bluff bet the river is the correct thing to do in this spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I noted that in my fisrt post ...

[ QUOTE ]
I took a bet fold line on the turn (I was 99.9% certain that villian would not be creative enough to raise a non-Jack hand) ...

[/ QUOTE ]

and am happy to see some stats to back up my thoughts (and I didn't even need to do them [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])
Old 02-15-2007, 01:40 AM

Default Re: AA multistreet

I don't like betting for value on the river because he probably won't call with many hands that we beat, but will call with some that do. He's going to call down with a number of the J hands, because he fears we have AJ or KJs. He's probably not calling down A6, and with the paired board he will probably fold overcards. Smaller pocket pairs are about all I think he'll call down with. If he calls us on the turn, then he's got something, and most of this looks like it beats us.

I like a turn bet/fold line. I'm happy getting to showdown only putting in one big bet in a hand where it looks like we are way behind.
Old 02-15-2007, 02:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you change your assumptions a bit, you'll find that this isn't always the case.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you change your assumptions a bit, you'll find that this isn't always the case.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course. The biggest assumption is that he will put a bet in on the river.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:53 AM

I'm checking everytime on the turn against this opponent. He bet with something, may or not be a jack and this is a fairly drawless board

1 - By betting the turn if he holds a pocket pair under J he will most likely fold

2 - You will almost always induce a bluff with this guy. There are no major draws here (except a backdoor flush which i'm not concerned about)so i have no problem with that and holding AA you are not at risk of losing to any overcards.

The worst possible play is betting the turn calling the raise and then calling the river bet.

If you insist on betting, i fold nearly everytime to a raise on this board.

Checking imo is an obvious and the best play on the turn here. Its virtually a textbook example of when inducing a bluff is correct.

I don't like folding AA in this situation to a raise, but calling the raise and probable river bet is too expensive so i wouldn't put myself in that situation