Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2007, 05:15 PM

Default *sigh* hacked, where do I go from here?

I'll try to keep this short.

Had $6,300 on Eurolinx when they switched networks (around the 15th of January.) After the Neteller debacle I knew it was going to be a while before new withdraw options would pop up, so I just left my money in there (wasn't playing.)

Log in around Feb. 10th, no money in the account. I talk to support, they said "You lost it." I said I haven't played a single hand in almost a month.

She gives me ip addresses of where my account was played. Someone logged in from Hayward (pretty close to me) the day before the money was lost (wasn't me, wasn't anyone I know) and then someone logged in from East Coast of Canada and lost all my money.

Here is a letter I got today from the Eurolinx CEO

"We have investigated this incident thoroughly, we do not doubt whatsoever that it is a person other than you who has been in canada playing on your account. We have done extensive analysis of the gameplay on the actual dates and found that there was no "chipdumping" taking place. This is unfortunate in that the funds are not recoverable.

We do not store or have access to our customers passwords. They are encrypted and hidden. We know with 100% certainty that our databases have not been compromised. As i mentioned to you earlier, it is a puzzling case. In most instances these cases can be tracked back to a hijacked mail account, where the password has been changed.

The culprit has gotten a hold of your password from your end!

The next step for you will have to be filing a complaint with your local police department, i also highly reccommend contacting the Canadian authorities, as well as the ISP. In most cases the Isp will require a warrant to make available the people behind an IP. With the kind of money involved here it should not be a problem.

We are available to answer any queries from law enforcement officials.

This is unfortunately all we can do from our end!

Best Regards

Jo Remme
CEO
Eurolinx LTD"

Serious posts only please, what do you guys think of going to the authorities? Has anyone ever heard of someone successfully doing this? The money isn't a fortune but was almost half my bankroll right now.

And I know you guys would love to throw a bunch of insults in, but please don't do it right now, I'm feeling really [censored] about all this. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:19 PM

Default Re: *sigh* hacked, where do I go from here?

By the way, I already requested hh's, already changed my password everywhere, already froze all my other poker accounts until I find out how this happened.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:24 PM

That sucks.

Is it just me or does it seem like there is A LOT more hacking going on. There have been a lot of posts at other forums talking about this.

Good luck with things. I'm not sure I'd go to the police...I doubt they'd be able to help much, but who knows?
Old 02-14-2007, 05:33 PM

do you have any idea how it happened? download any programs lately? anyone use your computer?
Old 02-14-2007, 05:43 PM

If you haven't ruled out a trojan/keylogger/rootkit/etc then you should know that every key stroke on that computer may be shared with "bad people".

If you can, you should shut that computer down as soon as possible until you decide what to do with it. Someone knowledgeable of computers may be able to identify the method that the hacker used, if there was one.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you haven't ruled out a trojan/keylogger/rootkit/etc then you should know that every key stroke on that computer may be shared with "bad people".

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I have dl'ed some stuff recently, but I also run Adaware regularly, have macaffee firewall and antivirus. Is this not enough?

After this [censored] happened I also got Spybot S&D. Should all this stuff have caught a keylogger? I'm pretty sure that's how they got my password.

On a related note, I've heard of a good program that generates and maintains hard to guess random passwords. Link?
Old 02-14-2007, 05:59 PM

sighs...this is why you buy 1 computer and lock it down and do nothing on it except play poker. You do not surf the web, you do not check email you do nothing but play poker. So lets do some math. A new cheap computer to run 4 tables of poker = $700. You lost $6300. $6300 - $700 = $5600 you would still have now.

Maybe now you will learn and buy a separate computer.

cheers
Boon
Old 02-14-2007, 06:07 PM

First, you should never download something from stranger or from sites that you don't know about.

Second, it's good that you have security software, but I personaly reccommend that you get Zonealarm Pro and Kaspersky AV or ZA internet suite.

That's all you need to do to avoid hacking.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I personaly reccommend that you get Zonealarm Pro and Kaspersky AV or ZA internet suite.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, so which one of these is the absolute best, and how are they better than the programs I'm already running now?
Old 02-14-2007, 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Maybe now you will learn and buy a separate computer.

cheers
Boon

[/ QUOTE ]

This kind of makes sense for people w/ unlimited space, but for a lot of people, nearly everyone I'm guessing, having 2 computer setups just isn't feasible.

There HAS to be a way to just make your primary computer un-hackable.