Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2007, 01:56 PM

Default Re: Was anyone into NY Str8 -Edge hardcore 87-91?

Lot of great music form the straight edge bands of the mid-late eighties. Minor Threat set the bar pretty high for everyone else during that time. I was not real familiar with the NYC bands of that time, I'm a life time bay area guy. The really good bands from our neck of the woods then were Capitol Punishment, 7 Seconds, Blast, The Mr. T Experience, Bulimia Banquet, etc..

Originally straight edge was super cool. I appreciated the sincerity of those bands and times. After a while straight edge sort of became a cliche'. Lots of high school girls posing with their magic marker x's on their hands but not really getting the whole idea.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Lot of great music form the straight edge bands of the mid-late eighties. Minor Threat set the bar pretty high for everyone else during that time. I was not real familiar with the NYC bands of that time, I'm a life time bay area guy. The really good bands from our neck of the woods then were Capitol Punishment, 7 Seconds, Blast, The Mr. T Experience, Bulimia Banquet, etc..

Originally straight edge was super cool. I appreciated the sincerity of those bands and times. After a while straight edge sort of became a cliche'. Lots of high school girls posing with their magic marker x's on their hands but not really getting the whole idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

i loved 7 seconds, uniform choice, unity, insted, those were the groups form ur area i loved
Old 02-14-2007, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i knew paluka was the man, I know TT was into CB's as well, i think he used to bounce there.

[/ QUOTE ]

TT used to bounce? bounce what?

[/ QUOTE ]

worked the door at CB's
Old 02-14-2007, 02:04 PM

Yo sucka, you got a big mouth!
Old 02-14-2007, 02:40 PM

I was too young at the time, but my Turning Point CD has been a favorite of mine over the years.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:54 PM

Was G.G Allin Str-Edge?

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

FYC
Old 02-14-2007, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yo sucka, you got a big mouth!

[/ QUOTE ]

hilarious
Old 02-14-2007, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was too young at the time, but my Turning Point CD has been a favorite of mine over the years.

[/ QUOTE ]

i was good friends with skip ( the lead singer) he died of a heroine ooverdose about 5-6 years ago, very sad.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ian MCkay was the singer of Fugazi, he started the whole str8 edge movement but they were from DC. I liked them tho.

[/ QUOTE ]

First off, it's Ian MacKaye. Second, Fugazi didn't really *start* the straightedge movement, but he was most likely its most visible proponent. Third, even before Fugazi, he was a part of Minor Threat, who are really considered the first real harDCore straightedge band.

Of course, he's still around, performing in The Evens, who are quite good in their own right.

Sadly, even though DC can claim hardcore as their own (sorta), they're also stuck with being the progenitor city of emo, through the band Rites of Spring -- who, oddly enough, featured two future members of Fugazi.

In fact, you could kinda call Fugazi the first emo supergroup, which would be a sucky thing to be known as, even if true...
Old 02-14-2007, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ian MCkay was the singer of Fugazi, he started the whole str8 edge movement but they were from DC. I liked them tho.

[/ QUOTE ]

First off, it's Ian MacKaye. Second, Fugazi didn't really *start* the straightedge movement, but he was most likely its most visible proponent. Third, even before Fugazi, he was a part of Minor Threat, who are really considered the first real harDCore straightedge band.

Of course, he's still around, performing in The Evens, who are quite good in their own right.

Sadly, even though DC can claim hardcore as their own (sorta), they're also stuck with being the progenitor city of emo, through the band Rites of Spring -- who, oddly enough, featured two future members of Fugazi.

In fact, you could kinda call Fugazi the first emo supergroup, which would be a sucky thing to be known as, even if true...

[/ QUOTE ]

i know fugazi didnt start it, if u read the thread i said he started it with teen idols and minor threat after. mckay /mackaye i realy havent followed it in 16 years +.