Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2007, 01:43 AM

Default 50NL AK vs preflop aggressor

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (4 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG ($48.55)
Button ($36.55)
SB ($83.70)
Hero ($54.40)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $1.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $8.5</font>, Hero calls $3.50.

Flop: ($17) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $14.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $68.5</font>, Hero calls $31.40 (All-In).

Turn: ($131.40) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: ($131.40) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $131.40

villain is 24/16/5

i was a bit thrown off by his mini 4bet preflop OOP and figured he was strong. but when the flop came with an A, i figured he held a hand like KK-TT.

how should my thought process have gone through this hand??
Old 02-14-2007, 06:53 AM

Default Re: 50NL AK vs preflop aggressor

I like a push preflop. You get to see all 5 cards and you have fold equity against smaller PPs.

As played: his check/raise is weird after his reraise preflop and after your reraise preflop I think you are in trouble. A split with AK is your best hope. Being a huge underdog against AA, QQ, AQ is more likely.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:16 AM

Push or fold pre-flop, depends on reads. against unknowns I just push.

SB's flop check after 4-betting pre-flop looks suspicious. No draws on the board, I check this flop behind and see what he does on the turn. If he's checking again I'd bet ~3/4 pot to get some value from KK.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like a push preflop. You get to see all 5 cards and you have fold equity against smaller PPs.

As played: his check(...) is weird after his reraise preflop and after his c/r on the flop I think you are in trouble. A split with AK is your best hope. Being a huge underdog against AA, QQ, AQ is more likely.

[/ QUOTE ]

FMP

I think I should use the preview more often.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:02 AM

I think it is fine to call preflop. You got position, why negate all that with a push preflop? Calling the flop c/r is tough, IMO. I like a fold here 75%. I think at best you are calling for a chop.

Answering your question, here is my thought process on this hand.
Preflop
“SB is raising my BB and I wake up with AKs, 3-bet biatch!”
“WTF that cheeky bastard. Mini-4 betting me. So you weren’t just trying to steal and have a hand. Rough range 99-AA, AJ+, but with the mini 4-bet, donkeyspeak for I want to induce a shove by you as I have a monster so maybe his range is smaller, I’ll just call with position and check out the flop.”

Flop
“Boom, and you check. Ok, no FD out there, and I don’t want to bloat the pot so I will check behind and let you led out the turn.”

Turn
“Yep, you are betting with your entire range here so calling is +EV for me.”

River
“I can call just about any reasonable bet here and check behind in this 100BB pot to avoid a crai.

As played-

Flop-
“Ok, I got TPTK and you are checking to me. I’ll bet.”
“Yuck, crai. I am ahead of AJ and behind everything else except a chop. Now, do I think he does this with KK, JJ, TT or 99? If not sure, fold. If yes, call. Yes it is a desperate CRAI overbet, what does that mean? To me it means I hate it when I get into these situations.”
Old 02-14-2007, 11:18 AM

I'm checking behind on this flop fairly often (and I am not trying to be results oriented.) Here is my reasoning: the mini-four bet greatly reduces his range to TT+, AK (AQ maybe if he is really aggro.) So you are flipping with part of the range, and killed by the rest, but, you are getting good odds and have position so calling preflop, I think, is good as opposed to pushing.

On the flop you are now beating most of his range, chopping with AK and getting killed by QQ,AA (4 combos total.) He is checking here either with a monster or a underpair he is planning on folding. Why bet when you only get called/raised by the hands that are killing you? You don't really need to build a pot with TP in a 4 bet pot. I say check behind and call down after that. You want to show this hand down in a midsized pot.

FWIW I'm folding to the c/r even though there is ~50 in the pot and I only have ~30 left. I don't think he plays KK or JJ like this. I'm fairly certain he has a set.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:16 PM

What range do you put your typical "TAG" villain on when he min 4-bets you ?
Old 02-14-2007, 02:55 PM

This is a fold preflop if your sample size on villain is solid.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:00 PM

Fold the flop as played,

I check this flop most of the time tough keep the pot small, that PF action is QQ-AA almost always. Try and see a cheap showdown with your TPTK hand here.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:06 PM

Check flop. Any hand that you beat wont call the flop, maybe KK will call, but thats it (and he's only calling once prob). Why bet here? Theres really no reason to IMO. I'd fold to the flop RR as played, unless I knew he was a bluffing maniac.