Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2007, 11:16 PM

Default Re: Talk about irony... Stephen A Smith

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am a christian with a serious faith, yet I believe that prayer has no place in school. If anything, there should be time set aside for children of all backgrounds to pray or play with bricks or read books or whatever they chose to do. I hope that nobody on this forum shares the opinions of the two women in that segment, particularly the white lady who said that "This is a christian nation". This is not a christian nation. The fact that we are a majority is irrelevant. Most of america does a lot of different things. School is school! I don't understand people who think that it is right for Christianity to be promoted in a PUBLIC school with children from many different backgrounds.

I see atheism as a religion, one based on the faith that there is no God. The existence or nonexistence of a creator can ultimately never be empirically proven, no matter what Dawkins or Falwel claim. Anything that we think about the divine and it's relationship to us is mere speculation. Therefore, in the realm of logic (the government and public spaces), there should be no precendent given to any religion over another. No crosses or menorahs or forced prayer or anything like that. The fact is that we must default to nothing, and though the atheist likes this, there is no other choice.

[/ QUOTE ]

I liked this post a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

The first paragraph is excellent. The second one is pretty awful. Atheism is not a religion and it takes zero faith to not believe in something that makes no logical or scientific sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

You may see atheism as a religion, but it is not. It's simply the absence of belief in a supernatural god or gods. There is really no other status in society in which you are labeled based on something you are not. For example, I work in a retail store and I live in the United States. This is something I can tell people to help describe my identity. It would be silly to identify myself as not a teacher or not a chef and that I don't live in Zimbabwe and that I don't live in Mexico. Yes this is sort of an awkward example, but I'm just trying to show that atheism is just a lack of belief in god, not a separate religion. With so many thousands of religions in the world, everyone is an atheist to all religions except their own. Some people just go one step further.

A lot of atheists actually do not like the term or label atheist because of it's negative connotations. You can pretend to be open minded, but stereotypes do exist and people who are open atheists are among the most disliked people in the country. Probably not as much as gays like that video claims, but certainly a very disrespected minority.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The best part about this is how you have a "panel" of three people discussing atheism - and none of them are atheists.

[/ QUOTE ]

They got Dawkins to give the atheist POV afterwards...
Old 02-14-2007, 07:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the idiot who wanted to remove under god from the money and pledge of allegiance has too much time on his damn hands and should be shot for being an idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

As opposed to the idiots who instated these things half a century ago???
Old 02-14-2007, 07:57 AM

This is old news for the SMP people! but I'm glad to see somebody took notice. I already e-mailed the black lady and the department chair of the school she teaches at.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A lot of atheists actually do not like the term or label atheist because of it's negative connotations. You can pretend to be open minded, but stereotypes do exist and people who are open atheists are among the most disliked people in the country. Probably not as much as gays like that video claims, but certainly a very disrespected minority.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a great benefit of being open. You can weed out people who don't want to associate with you (and vice versa) very quickly.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
DKSR,

Ah if only science didn't require faith as well. It's the best rational tool we have, but...

[/ QUOTE ]

Faith is belief in something you have no empirical evidence for. Isn't this pretty much the exact opposite of science?

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you believe that 90% of the Universe is comprised of unfindable, unmeasurable 'dark matter,' as science currently tells us? Just curious.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:42 PM

CNN Panel Take Two (Now with atheists!)
Old 02-14-2007, 03:44 PM

why do they always get the most outspoken morons on these shows?

ohh, I know, ratings, ohh boy, exciting.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol @ getting morality from the bible, wonder the last time the Reverend read the bible
Old 02-14-2007, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol @ getting morality from the bible, wonder the last time the Reverend read the bible

[/ QUOTE ]

You realize that most western value systems are based on Judeo-Christian morality.