Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2007, 07:35 PM

Default Re: All in with random hand, get a caller, what are my odds?

[ QUOTE ]
All in with a random hand is not going to be profitable period, but all in with a certain range of hands and fold the rest might be worth looking into. Check out the book Kill Phil (there's also the Sklansky System but I believe Kill Phil is more detailed), an all-in or fold system for tournaments. I don't see why you couldn't apply Kill Phil, or something similar, to buying in shortstacked in a cash game. Basically you just need a chart of hand requirements for each situation, where the situation variables are: 1. Your stack size (assuming everyone else has you covered). 2. Your position. 3. Whether you are first in, facing a limper, 2 limpers, a raise, a raise and a reraise, etc. Well all the combinations of that 3rd variable is going to be hard to deal with, but coming up with a series of charts exclusively for when you're first in and you need to decide between all-in or fold would be doable. The question is, can you come up with a system that is profitable? My guess is at 20bb buyin the answer would be no, at least above the microlimits (you could profit if most of your opponents are way off base with their calling requirements). Get your stack down to 15bb and it starts to look more attractive. The upside is, if you do come up with a profitable system you can multitable like crazy, because applying the system will be completely mindless. Obviously once you double up, its time to leave the table and find another.

Oh BTW I don't recommmend ever pushing in just half your stack, you're pot committed then. If you aren't playing all-in or fold, you pretty much have to start playing real poker with postflop play and everything.

Edit: Even 15bb buyin seems too high for this to be profitable when I think about it, I'd say 10bb maximum. So it might be a fun experiment to try but I doubt you'd make money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the response. Yeah, I think the only way this really had a shot of working is if I could buy in for 10 big blinds, but unfortunately that is not allowed on poker stars, not sure about other sites.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:49 AM

The system/strategy is no good. Guaranteed losery
Old 02-24-2007, 10:04 AM

Is this serious? I mean you clearly don't play enough. Most of the time people will respect the shortstack LESS and call with AJ suited and the such and basically any pocket pair 99+.

You are very welcome to do this at my tables.