Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2007, 05:49 PM

Default Totally new poker strategy, want to get your input

I posted this in the texas holdem main forum and was told it may be wise to post it here too.
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...ID=#Post9169157
please let me know what you think either in this thread or that one.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:04 PM

Default Re: Totally new poker strategy, want to get your input

I think you should push only when you are first in the pot though (unless you have AA-JJ, AK). Any limpers or raisers in front of you will probably not be disciplined enough to fold because of their ego's being hurt (I'm assuming you'll be doing this at very low limits).

Also, I think you should do it with 20xbb at the lowest level you can afford. I don't think the half a stack think would be advisable.

Also, I don't think it would profitable at all, however, it would still be interesting to hear your results.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:12 PM

Jared, have you checked out Getting Started in Hold'Em & the small stack strategy in that?
Old 02-13-2007, 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jared, have you checked out Getting Started in Hold'Em & the small stack strategy in that?

[/ QUOTE ]
I've read about doing short stack strategies and how to play in 1 table tournaments. I realize what I'm proposing isn't actually poker. My whole goal was to just make some money with this to field my expenses as I am still getting better playing the short stack strategy and $5 tournies. (I'm new and thus losing some money learning exactly how to play profitably) I'm just curious if anyone believes this technique would be profitable. I believe most hands everyone will fold to me and even if I got a caller I would have some small % chance of winning the hand.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:21 PM

Your original post was confusing. Push/fold can be a successful strategy with a short stack, but "any hand" is not how to do it. So I'm not sure what your "totally new" strategy is. You'll usually be a 70/30 or 80/20 dog when you get called, and you'll get called about 1 time in 3. So 66% of the time, you win 1.5 BB and 33% of the time you lose maybe an average of .5 min-buy. Unless min-buy in in the realm of 5BB, I can't see any possible way this does anything for you.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:25 PM

I don't think this is +EV as described, but w/ 20bb you could probably devise on without too much trouble. Could I suggest playing a lower limit instead? They have .01/.02 out there with 50bb buy-ins. I mean you could work off a BR less that $100 for quite a while while you learn.

I mean if you just want to hit n' run for quarters, you might as well grab a job and save up some $ to finace your books or whatever.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your original post was confusing. Push/fold can be a successful strategy with a short stack, but "any hand" is not how to do it. So I'm not sure what your "totally new" strategy is. You'll usually be a 70/30 or 80/20 dog when you get called, and you'll get called about 1 time in 3.
So 66% of the time, you win 1.5 BB and 33% of the time you lose maybe an average of .5 min-buy. Unless min-buy in in the realm of 5BB, I can't see any possible way this does anything for you.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you only read my first post on that thread and did not actually get to the strategy part of it. My strategy would involve only staying at a table for 1 hand and going all in that 1 hand (or half in, still trying to figure this out) I'm assuming someone who joins your table and goes all in the first hand would probably have everyone fold to him, at least most of the time, because no one has a read on the person.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Your original post was confusing. Push/fold can be a successful strategy with a short stack, but "any hand" is not how to do it. So I'm not sure what your "totally new" strategy is. You'll usually be a 70/30 or 80/20 dog when you get called, and you'll get called about 1 time in 3.
So 66% of the time, you win 1.5 BB and 33% of the time you lose maybe an average of .5 min-buy. Unless min-buy in in the realm of 5BB, I can't see any possible way this does anything for you.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you only read my first post on that thread and did not actually get to the strategy part of it. My strategy would involve only staying at a table for 1 hand and going all in that 1 hand (or half in, still trying to figure this out) I'm assuming someone who joins your table and goes all in the first hand would probably have everyone fold to him, at least most of the time, because no one has a read on the person.

[/ QUOTE ]Ok, I got that. But if you're short, the rate of calls will go up dramatically. There's no way this is +EV for any real value of min-buy.

Sorry.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
because no one has a read on the person.

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone might a read because they saw you do that before unless you are actively looking for tables with 9 players you have never played with in the past.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:28 AM

honestly players who do that style are really annoying, it totally takes all skill out of poker. You don't see anyone actually doing that in live poker, running from one table to another playing one hand and I dont think its good etiquette to do it online. I dont think its a profitable style in the long run... you might make a bit of $ but eventually ppl will catch on and start callin you lighter.
Only way it is profitable is if you buyin for the max and shove in a high limit game and then leave with the blinds and do it very rarely.