Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2007, 09:09 PM

Default International Law -> Internet Gambling -> UIGEA

I have to turn in a paper topic for a 15-20 page paper for an international law class in a couple days. I was wondering people here would think of a topic on internet gambling the UIGEA and how they relate to international law. Does anyone know what kind of statements (if any) have been made by international bodies, or states, regarding internet gambling or the UIGEA in terms of international law. I figure this is a long shot as a viable topic, but as I would be very interested in it, I think it would be a lot of fun to do. Any help, suggestions, links to related articles or statements would be appreciated.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:44 PM

Default Re: International Law -> Internet Gambling -> UIGEA

[ QUOTE ]
I have to turn in a paper topic for a 15-20 page paper for an international law class in a couple days. I was wondering people here would think of a topic on internet gambling the UIGEA and how they relate to international law. Does anyone know what kind of statements (if any) have been made by international bodies, or states, regarding internet gambling or the UIGEA in terms of international law. I figure this is a long shot as a viable topic, but as I would be very interested in it, I think it would be a lot of fun to do. Any help, suggestions, links to related articles or statements would be appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

does all the antigua wto protectionism business qualify as international law?
Old 02-12-2007, 09:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

does all the antigua wto protectionism business qualify as international law?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, anything with the WTO would be great.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:08 PM

Yes, it would be a viable topic of international law. However, if you have to ask, then it is not likely a viable topic for you specifically. How long have you been in that class to date ? Didn't you learn anything as yet ?

This forum has a search function, you might use it. You might try doing some research on google, Lexis or Westlaw. Look for articles, that is part of what you are supposed to be learning, not shopping for free leads in a discusion forum.

(Pay no attention to what CardPlayer writes on the topic however.)
Old 02-12-2007, 10:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, it would be a viable topic of international law. However, if you have to ask, then it is not likely a viable topic for you specifically. How long have you been in that class to date ? Didn't you learn anything as yet ?

This forum has a search function, you might use it. You might try doing some research on google, Lexis or Westlaw. Look for articles, that is part of what you are supposed to be learning, not shopping for free leads in a discusion forum.

(Pay no attention to what CardPlayer writes on the topic however.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I just started thinking about topics. I have until March 15 to write this paper. I don't see why you are bashing me so much. I haven't started researching yet, and I thought I'd get a couple of opions. I don't think I'm being unreasonable to ask for a few opions.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:19 AM

Start at antiquawto.com and also read material at freejaycohen.com. Also, Ms. Shulman's articles at Cardplayer are good as are articles by Prof. Nelson Rose.
Be aware that this is a murky area of law without a lot of case law.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Be aware that this is a murky area of law without a lot of case law.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but because the area is so wide-open a well-written article or paper could influence opinion. If you're going to do this, take it seriously.

My wife and I are lawyers, and she's been published. If you like, drop me a message when you have something coherent written.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:36 PM

Perhaps you should consider, somewhere in your education and career, if not now, the broad relevance of international law and conflicts between said law and US principles and laws. Where, when and how does sovereignty apply? Are nations allowed to behave in their own best interests in spite of some vague international document? We face, and will continue to face, many issues in this area. And some of our issues are unique within the "international community" - little things, you know, like the Declaration of Independence, Constitution and Bill of Rights, not to mention a well-established body of domestic law and precedent both state and national.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:23 PM

Have you considered the issue of jurisidction vis-a-vis the internet. That is at the heart of the UIGEA and the Antigua-WTO case. There may be more case law on the general issue of internet jurisdiction rather than specifically IG.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps you should consider, somewhere in your education and career, if not now, the broad relevance of international law and conflicts between said law and US principles and laws. Where, when and how does sovereignty apply? Are nations allowed to behave in their own best interests in spite of some vague international document? We face, and will continue to face, many issues in this area. And some of our issues are unique within the "international community" - little things, you know, like the Declaration of Independence, Constitution and Bill of Rights, not to mention a well-established body of domestic law and precedent both state and national.

[/ QUOTE ]

This seems way to broad, but some specific US law/principle/document and how it has related to international law over time could work...or something like a short history of US soverignty conflicting with international law, but they may still be too broad.