Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2007, 08:36 PM

Default Re: Do I legally have to pay Neteller back?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Of course you have a legal obligation to pay- same as any other debt. And yes, they'll probably turn it over to a collection agency.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct me if I'm wrong, but...

It seems the US gov't holds that Neteller is engaging in illegal activity by "aiding and abetting" gambling. I'm almost 100% certain illegal debts are NOT enforcable. You may or may not feel repayment is the "right" thing to do, but as to "legally required," the answer is you're not EDIT: potentially influenced by the pending criminal court case.

Think of it this way: you may want to pay the crack man because he'll have your kneecaps broken if you don't, but he has no legal standing in a US court. (And obviously Neteller doesn't break kneecaps.)

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. If it is indeed an illegal debt, can his credit rating even be affected?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe you are correct. If what neteller was doing is found to be illegal then you do not have to pay them back. You can refute the charge when and if they send it to a collection agency on the grounds that it was an illegal operation.
KEYWORD here though is found. It is still in limbo whether or not neteller will be legally stated as an illegal operation or whether some deal will be worked and fines are to be payed and notactually "deemed" an illegal operation. (part of the reason I think neteller is cooperating so well)

Similar to how US companies fessed up so quickly post-Enron on accounting matters and did not face charges but mearly resignations and some fines.

Moral of the story is don't pay and wait. You might get some knocks on your credit rating in the mean time if they do pass it on to a collection agency.
Old 02-13-2007, 04:47 AM

its a sad state of affairs when people think stealing is acceptable and the only thing that stops them is the threat of the law.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Of course you have a legal obligation to pay- same as any other debt. And yes, they'll probably turn it over to a collection agency.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct me if I'm wrong, but...

It seems the US gov't holds that Neteller is engaging in illegal activity by "aiding and abetting" gambling. I'm almost 100% certain illegal debts are NOT enforcable. You may or may not feel repayment is the "right" thing to do, but as to "legally required," the answer is you're not EDIT: potentially influenced by the pending criminal court case.

Think of it this way: you may want to pay the crack man because he'll have your kneecaps broken if you don't, but he has no legal standing in a US court. (And obviously Neteller doesn't break kneecaps.)

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. If it is indeed an illegal debt, can his credit rating even be affected?

[/ QUOTE ]

A contract is simply an agreement between two parties. Any illegal act voids a contract. Because of this his credit rating can not be effected. They might turn him into collection but all he needs to do is contact the three credit bureaus and dispute it.

They can always sue him for it. You can sue someone for anything but a judge would immediately throw it out. The nicest part for the OP is that US Government has already made his case that the contract was based on an illegal act and therefore void. Rarely do people get so lucky.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:37 AM

i guess if people can convince others to be suicide bombers, blowing up men women & children, and convince them they are doing gods work then convincing someone that stealing money from neteller isnt actually stealing is a piece of cake in comparison

lets hope that neteller dont take the same view or no american will ever see their money again.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:12 AM

Yes, let's equate stealing to suicide bombing. That is a wonderful display of intelligence and I hope you win an award for your level headed thinking.

In fact I hear by award you 8 Brownie points... eight!