Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2007, 02:38 PM

Default Re: The Hip-Hop Thread, or Dids\'s Top 10 Hip-Hop Albums

[ QUOTE ]
I like TBA a lot, it's about the only Jay-Z album without an overdose of filler.

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact that Reasonable Doubt didn't make your Top 10 or even your "barely missed the cut" and that you wrote this when it's clearly not true about RD is very puzzling to me. I assume you've heard the album: what's your problem with it?
Old 02-10-2007, 01:46 AM

No particular order:

Nas-Illmatic
Nas- It Was Written
Mobb Deep- The Infamous
Mobb Deep- Murda Muzik
Capone and Noreaga-The War Report
Capone and Noreaga- The Reunion
Cormega- The Realness
Jay-Z- The Black Album
Jay-Z- Reasonable Doubt
Cam'Ron- Confessions of Fire
Old 02-11-2007, 09:45 PM

Have any of you guys listened to the new Sean Price album straight through? If so, any opinions?
Old 02-11-2007, 11:49 PM

i like it, I'd give it a rating close to Monkey Barz, its a fairly similar album I'd say and I love Sean Price, so ya, its def worth a listen.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:14 AM

i never really understood the facination with atmosphere. i tried to get into it, but found it decent at best? i do like aesop rock a lot though.

re: talib kweli & hi-tek
i love talib kweli, though i can see where dids comes from in his points, i just disagree totally. i like hi-tek's style too.

re: gangstarr
its kind of strange that i would enjoy a group so much yet remain totally unmoved by its lead MC. guru has nice lyrics for sure, but his flow wavers between being tolerable to being just dull. lots of cred goes to primo's production work obviously.

am i the only one that likes chronic 2001 more than chronic? am i the only one that likes doggystyle more than chronic?

anyways my ten favorite rap albums in no particular order:

ATLiens - i had a really hard time deciding between this and aquemeni. but i think dids is right at least in retrospect to aquemeni because i think there are more filler songs while ATLiens is solid all the way through, though i think some of my favs are actually on aquemeni. either way you couldn't go wrong with either choice. i remember listening to ATLiens forever and ever, could never grow sick of that song.

2001 - sick beats, dr dre and friends, whats not to love? i like chronic and all but this album is better imo, maybe because i just like new stuff better than old stuff? i remember going to a party when this album first dropped and my friend had a bunch of cd's to put into the stereo but this was the only cd that got played that night.

black album - to be honest, when i first heard this cd i did not like it (i still don't care for change clothes at all) but then i listened closely and this album is just so fun to listen to. production is solid and jay-z is at his blueprint best here. public service announcement is like my all time favorite sing-along songs ever. allure is a very underrated awesome song.

black on both sides - suprised nobody mentioned this album. i <3 mos def.

blueprint - i almost included reasonable doubt on my list, but 3 jay-z albums in one list? that is more testiment to jay-z's greatness than anything but honestly i just simply like blueprint and black album better.

blackstarr - two of my favorite emcees on one album? i'll take it. seriously i can listen to this album for days and not grow sick of it. mos def and talib compliment each other v nicely.

college dropout - my favorite album that came out during college i think. sick beats all the way through and a very entertaining kanye at his best. miles ahead of late registration imo. never let you down is one of my favorite songs ever.

enter the wu-tang: 36 chambers - people talk about ready to die being the most hardcore rap album ever. while i don't really disagree but how can you get more hardcore or gritty than a hook that goes "wu tang clan ain't nothing to f*ck with, wu tang clan ain't nothing to f*ck with". this album is so sick and underrated its criminal

illadelph halflife - i am glad that people took notice of game theory and the roots, but if you are a true roots fan you need to listen to their older stuff esp this album and things fall apart. this cd is just so awesome front to back.

illmatic - what can i say?

me against the world - this is 2pac's best album imo and i love all eyez on me.

ready to die - what can i say?

ahahah i just realized i put 12 albums there, not 10. oh well.
Old 02-12-2007, 03:37 AM

Sickest album to play poker to- GZA Liquid Swords, hell its got a chess match on the back cover and shadowboxin is just ill.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:11 AM

haha i started to write, but i got lazy. here's a writeup for two of them

(in alphabetic order) my top 10 is as such:

- Common: BE
I think Common really changed his image and style with this 2005 release. A very soulful album from top to bottom, half filled with inspirational messages, the other half about real life. Produced by Kanye West (who I think does a great job on the album). John Mayer (kind of), Kanye West, John Legend featured, among others. Favorite tracks include: Be, Faithful, Love Is.

- De La Soul: The Grind Date
I was pleasantly surprised to see support in this thread for De La Soul, definately one of my favorite groups. I think this was their best album in terms of lyrics, wordplay, message and production. Ghostface, Common, MF Doom featured, among others. Favorite tracks include: The Grind Date, He Comes, Much More.

- Eminem: The Eminem Show

- Immortal Technique: Revolutionary Vol. 2

- Jedi Mind Tricks: Violent By Design

- Jin: The Emcee's Properganda

- Mos Def & Talib Kweli are: Blackstar
read the thread

- Nas: Illmatic
read the thread

- Nas: The Lost Tapes

- Talib Kweli: The Beautiful Struggle
Old 02-13-2007, 09:54 AM

Nice and Smooth: This was my first rap tape ever. Guided me through countless hour+ long bus rides. This album, to me, was the first to present the Swagger that all successful NY rappers have and those who never made it simply lack. I think Ma$e and puff before Ma$e and puff. Great hooks, and lyrics that really mean absolutely nothing

DMX - It's Dark and Hell is Hot
To me this album presented a new era of hip hop. No more Shiny suits! DMX brought the aggression, the street cred, and a bunch of crazy and everyone welcomed it. The production from swizz beats gave off a few street anthems, Ghetto Ballads like 'how's it going down', and then concept driven songs like Damien. Overall well put together.

Aquemini: For many of the reasons already said and because it's a really fun album that showed a different side to OutKast.

Mos Def and Talib Kweli- Blackstar:
This album was just a Gem to me. Represents to birth to mainstream underground hip hop and the entire Rawkus movement that was strong for a few years. No club songs, no attempts at it just a bunch of rapping about anything they wanted.

50 cent - Get Rich or Die Trying:
It's fifty..It's fifty. I really love this album for many reasons i don't understand myself.

LL Cool J - Mr. Smith:
Boyz II Men on a Rap album!

No Limit:
because they put out an album almost once a month i can't pick just one, but anything from no limit at the time i found to be exciting, different, dumb, ignorant, but fun. It just wasn't a party in the 90s if you didnt play some no limit.

My Mix CD with all of the pre 99 canibus guest appearances:
Unfortunately canibus could not make a good album or possibly even a complete song himself, but the guy could rap. The original Nerd rapper that somehow made it really cool to rap about zebras, the northern lights, isaac newton or anything else in a punchline.

Jay z - Blueprint/Kingdom Come:
I think the blueprint is most well put together album, but I find myself interested in what Jay Z has to say on Kingdom Come. I find his latest album to be his most personal album , but i think it loses it'ls overall message with the his first single. whatever though
Old 02-13-2007, 09:59 AM

I did all that damn typing and rambling and didn't type my all time favorite.

Wu-Tang: FOREVER
This is how rap should be done.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I did all that damn typing and rambling and didn't type my all time favorite.

Wu-Tang: FOREVER
This is how rap should be done.

[/ QUOTE ]

hey younggifted page 2

[ QUOTE ]
first off hip hop and rap are 2 dirrent things, you want rap see UGK riden dirty and TRU tru 2 da game

1.wu-tang forever
2.snoop dog doggy style
3.mob deep infamous
4.cam'ron purple haze

reakwon only bulit for cubain links
the slim shady lp(the 1st one with my name is the rest of his stuff is bull)
nas illmatic
dr dre the chronic

i could list more but ill stop, right now the best in the game is cam'ron and the dipset they have merge the old with the new and hip hop with rap and they got they own swaga

[/ QUOTE ]