Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2007, 05:06 PM

Default One table \"Playing the wrong way\" in a tournament -- how do you fix?

Not really sure where to post this, so I am posting here in Home Poker. Maybe better in B&M?

Anyway, I'm running a charity poker tournament as a fundraiser. We have no "dealers" but each table deals its own. It is a rebuy tournament with unlimited rebuys for the first hour. Everything is running smoothly for about 35 minutes ... until we realize that one of the tables is playing counter-clockwise. Yep. That's right. The person to the RIGHT of the button is the SB, 2 to the right is BB, and 3 to the right is UTG.

I walk over, ask them if they realize that they are dealing backwards, at which point several scream, "I THOUGHT it looked funny."

Now .... how do you "correct" it? Since it is a rebuy, there are very few people eliminated, and very little table movement. If I simply "reverse course" then one person is the button twice, and the blinds get doubly hosed.

I waited until after the rebuy period and the break. Then simply reset the button (randomly drawing a card) for that table, and had them deal clockwise. Reasonable solution? Any others? Is there a better one?

Thanks,

--Headhunter
Old 02-12-2007, 05:23 PM

Default Re: One table \"Playing the wrong way\" in a tournament -- how do you fix?

Your solution is the best one I can think of at the moment.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:36 PM

Default Re: One table \"Playing the wrong way\" in a tournament -- how do you fix?

I don't think it matters much as long as there is no added confusion (I know that I would have a hard time following the action). Any remedy negaively impacts some players and benefits others. I like your solution oif using a random draw since that way everyone has the same chance to be helped or hurt.

Personally, I would have just let them continue playing the same way and made that the first table to break.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:04 PM

Actually, having them continue playing in the same manner was my initial thought. The other person I was running the tournament with kept insisting on changing it. I thought that as long as that table was intact, it would be fine (as they were "used" to it), but if anyone new was moved to the table, it would/could be a problem for them to get used to the backwards action.

That's why we decided to re-set the button after the rebuy period ended and there was a greater chance of table movement.

(PS -- this is also the table that once the antes were introduced, did not realize that the blinds also anted. They thought the antes were only for those not in the blinds).

--Headhunter
Old 02-12-2007, 06:16 PM

Reverse the seating order of the table.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:30 PM

Default Re: One table \"Playing the wrong way\" in a tournament -- how do you fi

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-12-2007, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

so genius. and I would have never thought of it.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:45 AM

Default Re: One table \"Playing the wrong way\" in a tournament -- how do you fi

I want to play in that game so bad. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-13-2007, 03:52 AM

I would have taken a picture of the table with the players and the reversed blinds and have each one sign it. Then I would have invited every one of the players back to my home cash game ASAP.

I will nominate your post as the funniest one I've read in a while, especially the line:

"at which point several scream, "I THOUGHT it looked funny."
Old 02-13-2007, 10:22 AM

i say redraw seats at that table, same stacks and start dealing correctly once seats are reassigned