Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Special Sklansky Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2007, 05:47 PM

Default Re: What If Steroids Weren\'t Really Harmful or Illegal

You write:

[ QUOTE ]
From this, it was speculated that strength training could damage the composition of the epiphyseal junctures, or "growth plates", from which bone continues to emanate until complete skeletal growth is achieved. This belief was not based on scientific findings, but an anecdote.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you write:

[ QUOTE ]
By exercising at an early age, children can give their bones a head start in the fight against osteoporosis.

[/ QUOTE ]

What scientific finding is that based on? I doubt this is the case, except that they may get in the habit of exercising throughout their life, and that will make a difference.

Besides, until the past few decades, most children got all the exercise they needed. It was called playing (We used to run and chase each other around, climb trees and fences, play ball, walk to and from school from kindergarten on, etc.).

Now children "play" in front of computers and televisions. Now many parents don't allow their children outside the house, and they drive them to school, even high school. But the children of the past are the ones who now have the osteoporosis. But that's just my observation.

My vote for the major cause of the increase in osteoporosis (as well as the increase in breast and prostate cancer) is the crap they put in cow's milk. Heck, just the cow's milk might be enough of a problem. But now I'm way off topic.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:35 AM

Go to nof.org/prevention (National Osteoporosis Foundation) and it says exercising at an early age is good to help prevent osteoporosis.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:07 PM

Data point: When I was diagnosed with borderline-low bone density, I began a regimen of vitamin supplementation and heavy strength training. Ten years later, I did a full body scan, and was told I was "dead-center normal". However, the bones in my forearms and spine were well above average--caveman dense, even!--but the bones in the neck of my hip were as deficient as ever. But it all averaged out! Since I didn't stack plates on my pelvis and bump up and down, I guess I missed the benefit.

I'm not saying a sample of one is statistically significant by any means, but it's my story, take it as you will.

Back to the question: All athletes strive to achieve a physical advantage. If you're on a regulating kick, why stop with steroids? Why not mandate styles of training too (i.e. athletes must lift no heavier than 50% of their one rep max, as they're in grave peril of injuring themselves!) or vitamins (no B12 in excess of the RDA!) or diet (no red meat, and protein shall be no more than 30% of the daily caloric intake!)

On a more philosophical level, I believe people should be free to do whatever they want with their bodies, be they anorexic, obese or hypertrophied. To each his own.