Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2006, 10:07 AM

Default Re: 2nd level of $5 sng

it's a $5
Old 01-02-2007, 11:29 PM

Yeah you know you probably are right that he has you beat, but its hard to say at a $5. There are some serious donks, and I struggle with their play often.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:21 PM

i mean this is clearly one of those spots where you never really gathered enough information to really be able to feel good about putting him on a hand, so it comes down to putting him on a range and then deciding if the call is profitable. I mean personally i think id prolly end up folding the river as played, because id know that im far greater of a player than the rest of the table(as are you) so my skill value is worth much more than this call could ever be, but i would probably have led the turn as well, becuase at least you can conceal your actual hand by making it look like youre just trying to represent the 4 straight. however, we all know that 5$sng players dont really think this deep, but leading still allows you to gain more information, and if he raises your lead, you just shove there and if he has QJ i mean whatever, but the number of hands youre beating on the turn is astronomical, so you defenietly want to pump the pot as much as you can while your hand is almost certainly best. if you really want to check raise, you defenitely have to raise more so that A) you commit yourself to the pot to prevent yourself from folding the best hand, and B) if he does have a set, its unlikely he can fold, so you can get him to commit more, if not all of his stack, while his hand is still drawing.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:46 PM

Wow, I'm not calling the river here. Even $5 donks aren't pulling this move with an 8 or 6 very often. If we're lucky we're chopping, but there is plenty we lose to. This line looks most like QJ to me.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i mean this is clearly one of those spots where you never really gathered enough information to really be able to feel good about putting him on a hand

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed. I think the OP should have bet more on the turn so it was clearly likely he had a Jack. If Villain came over him on the turn, you might have to give him credit for QJ. If Villain just called there but goes allin on the river, you can be pretty sure he had a set on the turn and filled up.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:40 PM

Nh. Lord. You really put a lot of thought into this. Certainly more than most responders.

Preflop: Standard.

Flop: Standard.

Turn: I'm leading. c/r has a time and a place. But, I don't think that's it. It's more of an action killer, or a move you do to commmit a villain to the hand. Neither of those scenarios are what is happening here.

River. When a donk does this he usually has a hand. So, for me to call I have to ask myself what I'm beating. Sure, you are beating a T but that's about it. Calling a four card straight board without the nutz is very dangerous unless you think your opponent could have 2pr a lot of the times, or a set. Unfortunately, the paired 8 means there just aren't many hands you are beating.

I like the river fold.