Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2007, 02:50 PM

Default Re: Razz Hand- Was I correct to fold third here?

[ QUOTE ]

How do you figure 1/3 equity?

[/ QUOTE ]

The wording I used was "at best". He couldn't possibly have better than 1/3 equity. In reality hero had 1/4 equity because A24 was the equity hog soaking up all the dead value.

Its interesting to note that hero drops down to 20% equity if the main villain has precisely A23 rather than A24, and if we give the villain s range of (4- A 2) then the hero's equity is still a reasonable 24.2%

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 02-11-2007, 02:52 PM

I wouldn't be looking for tough folds with someone like seat 1 in the game.
Old 02-11-2007, 04:14 PM

I was not looking for a tough fold. This was my 15th hand at this table. I thought in light of not having a decent line on my opponents, coupled with my hand being partially dead and I also felt that I was behind as well, that I would be better served by not getting involved here.
Old 02-11-2007, 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OP's thinking, that he didn't want to play a capped street, is not uncommon thinking, and must be rooted-out mercilessly. It is based in a real-world valuation of money "That's a lot of money! I skeered!" rather than a game-time evaluation of stakes "I guess I'm playing a strong hand for more money here. Good time to do it."

Play on. Fold when you're beat or when the pot isn't worth fighting over, not when you have great cards and stand to rake a huge pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point that OP should not be timid about getting his money in with a 3-card bike here (A-5) because he may wind up taking a huge pot. And given the scenario, this will be a huge pot in terms of bets, with all 3 villains playing aggressively. On 4th st. it's likely some players will catch good and others bad, and those who catch good will keep raising to drive out the others. OP shouldn't worry too much about a couple of dead cards since the other players may have a 3-card 6, 7, or maybe smooth 8 if they're very loose. But if he's trying to keep his variance down, this is not the hand to do it on since he'll likely have to put in a minimum of 14 small bets total to get to a showdown.

On the other hand, this is a .5/1 table and those 14 small bets represent $7. Hopefully that's not a ton of money to the OP, so go for it! The other guys at the .5/1 table are probly not very experienced either and may make dreadful mistakes on later streets (okay, they probly will).
Old 02-12-2007, 12:06 AM

I don't know that much about bout razz but I'd call and reevalute on the fourth
Old 02-12-2007, 06:59 PM

You do not, under any circumstances, fold here. WTF were you thinking? Even with the dead [2,3] count you want it capped. Are there cards smaller than wheel cards in your deck? What do they look like?

The lowball gods will curse you for 10,000 deals for that fold. Nothing but bad 4th streets for you from here on out.