Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2007, 05:44 PM

Default 50NL turned set w/ scary board

Opponent is 22/7/1.7
this is my first hand at the table, but I must have had stats on him from a previous session. Obviously he wasnt very memorable

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP ($10.60)
Button ($50)
Hero ($49)
BB ($55.25)
UTG ($79.55)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $2</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $6</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $4.

Flop: ($12.50) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $10</font>, Button calls $10.

Turn: ($32.50) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $16</font>

I wasnt sure if the bet here gets the most money... I suppose my hand is well disguised. Is there any way to get him to put more money in with a worse hand?
Old 02-12-2007, 05:47 PM

Default Re: 50NL turned set w/ scary board

I bet more (like 25) and call a push.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:49 PM

I guess I was trying to feign weakness with the turn bet
Old 02-12-2007, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess I was trying to feign weakness with the turn bet

[/ QUOTE ]
ah ... just going off of villian's stats (maybe not the best thing to do), I don't know if he is aggro enough to pick up on this. You might be better off with good ol' fasion value betting.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:52 PM

Bet at least 20, the board isn't that scary, but we need still need to give them bad odds for any draw.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:53 PM

The turn is good for us but could be even better for opponent. a lot of straights just hit. If you are going to bet, bet more.

I hate betting and being faced with an AI, usually we're behind in those situations.

c/ r AI. Yes we're getting called by over sets and the straights, but we're also getting more money out of QJ, AT, etc.

Downside is we're giving free cards to the flush, but i still think we make more money but checking here.

if villain checks, VB a non scary river, and c/c most river bets if flush hits.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:59 PM

I actually like the bet size and feigning weakness, reads would be great here, but with his agression of 1.7 he might call this bet with a flushdraw (and in that case I might try and charge him a bit more) but this is enough to make a call with a flush draw -EV. A re-raise from this guy would scare me a bit, but the only thing I'd care about is KJ and it is possible, but only a portion of his range. I would the bet a bit more hoping for a call or a raise with two pair.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:02 PM

I think I am leaning towards rockus on this one. I just feel that a near pot sized bet is only getting called by hands that beat us...especially because we are pretty much pot committed after that. If he was laggier than yeah I think betting out is good, but a more passive type this guy...I am leaning towards checking
Old 02-12-2007, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I am leaning towards rockus on this one. I just feel that a near pot sized bet is only getting called by hands that beat us...especially because we are pretty much pot committed after that. If he was laggier than yeah I think betting out is good, but a more passive type this guy...I am leaning towards checking

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with this. The stacks on the turn are only a PSB. 999 is strong enough that I'd be happy to get all-in on the turn vs. this villain b/c 999 beats JJ,KJ,QT,QJ,KK, and AA with which the villain would likely play for stacks on the turn. Regardless of whether he checks or bets out, he and villain will usually get it all-in on the turn vs. the villain's strongest made hands no matter how Hero plays. This is really important to me because it essentially means that we can neglect that part of the villain's range and try to maximize vs. his draws. Against a draw, I'd bet at least $20 to price it out.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:31 PM

I disagree with this. The stacks on the turn are only a PSB. 999 is strong enough that I'd be happy to get all-in on the turn vs. this villain b/c 999 beats JJ,KJ,QT,QJ,KK, and AA with which the villain would likely play for stacks on the turn. Regardless of whether he checks or bets out, he and villain will usually get it all-in on the turn vs. the villain's strongest made hands no matter how Hero plays. This is really important to me because it essentially means that we can neglect that part of the villain's range and try to maximize vs. his draws. Against a draw, I'd bet at least $20 to price it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

well this makes some good sense to me. Can you ever make a case for checking...just out of curiosity