Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > High Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2007, 04:47 PM

Default Re: 100/200 Commerce

If he flopped a set, he checks it once. The second time he makes a full house.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:59 PM

I'm still confused about the hand. I don't think he would check a vulnerable hand like AK KK KQ etc on the flop. On the turn if he did make a full house I can see him checking. I wonder though if he would smooth call my raise with a full house there thought to trap the donk thinking we would both be drawing dead. At the time I thought that I couldn't beat anything that wasn't a pure bluff. It was the nuts or nothing, and to 3-bet check raise on the turn on a bluff seemed unlikely. As it turns out I muck and he tells me he had Q10 and when I asked him what suits he couldn't answer me. I asked him again about an hour later and he stuck to his story. So I'm still puzzled. Honest assesment of the 100 game at Commerce is that it's really tough. I'm gonna stick with the 60 from now on.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:25 PM

i am just calling through, but it sucks...the board is clearly read, and i cant see him bluffing or over playing a mediocre hand here
Old 02-20-2007, 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
100/200 Commerce
A guy who I think is a solid player at the time (turns out he's really good and not straight forward) opens the pot for a raise in middle position, uber donkey calls and it folds to me in the BB with Jc 10c, I call. Flop is 10,Q,A rainbow. I check PF raiser checks and uber donk checks. Turn 10 I check PF raiser checks and uber donk bets. I raise and PF raiser 3 bets before I can even get my chips in the pot. Uber donk mucks it's up to me, any thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are pretty much only a few hands he could have here. His flop play doesn't seem that great to me. The only way it would be GREAT is if he is bluffing here. That would be some super advanced stuff.

He has either KJ,AA,QQ,JJ,1010, Nothing
Old 02-20-2007, 06:10 PM

He played his hand on the flop pretty badly. Not throwing in the continuation bet is obviously the wrong play because there is a lot of value to be had by making the bet. Anyone with an ace is going to call/raise.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:41 PM

Not necessarily if he has nothing and will try to represent a hand on the turn. People are always suspicious if the PF raiser doesn't continuation bet into a 3 handed pot. Once in a while I will check the flop on a scary or obvious broadway paired board and pick the pot up on the turn. Usually I give up if somebody bets the turn, but not always. i do this only rarely, but it his raise is representing a monster and he might be making OP lay down the best hand.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:17 AM

not calling the turn here is criminal.
i would probably bet the river and fold to a raise from a solid player
Old 02-26-2007, 05:11 AM

I heard valuebetting with sets, straights and full houses is good in limit hold em. But I could be wrong.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:14 PM

I'll chip in my best guess.

I think he has AT (or perhaps QT). He checks flop assuming uberdonk will have enough of flop to bet, and he will then check-raise and make volume. He fears a free card less than usual because his hand is very hard to draw out on. Only a K or J ruins his hand, and if that card does fall on the turn he will be in very poor shape.

In other words, this method keeps the pot at a size where he can make better decisions on a bad turn - either folding two pair in a small pot, or calling to try to fill up in a large pot.

After he fills on turn he checks again, without fear of free cards and hoping to provoke action like he did.

I dont think he has a set because the turn card is less relevant to a set on the flop, so the information he'll get is also less valuable. A set might as well start jamming right away since it can never fold any turn card.

edit: I saw your results post. Without reliable information, let me just point out the above reasoning is not ridiculous for a creative player stuck with a two pair hand.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:29 PM

More commentary on this hand:

Also realize that this strong player is playing against the fish here. You're a presumably decent player who tossed in on the BB and checks twice, the villain is rather unconcerned about you in this hand until the somewhat surprising check-raise.

Since he's playing small pot poker (3BB pot) against a bad player, he's way more concerned about getting the donk involved in the pot than he is about free cards. This is why he might go to more extreme lengths to induce action from behind, including checking a good hand twice.