Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Software
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2007, 01:13 PM

Default Postgre SQL / Access question

I'm currently using several access databases for datamining and it's working fine, but I was considering making the switch to postgresql.

How long does it take you guys to backup a large pgsql database (500k to 2mil hands)? Also, how long does it take pt to extract the db from the backup file? I datamine on one computer then just transfer the access db over to my main computer right before I play. If this is a burden with pgsql, I'll just stay with access.

Does anyone run pahud using db's linked from a different computer, does this create a lag?

Also, do any of you guys use lots of access databases (like 10-20) in pahud? I have 5 linked right now and it seems to be doing ok. But if I'm destined to grind pahud to a halt in the future, I guess I'll have to make the switch.

-Trebek
Old 02-12-2007, 03:20 PM

Default Re: Postgre SQL / Access question

A lot of your questions are VERY related to your hardware performance and not PSQL related. PSQL is faster than access, especially for the big DBs.

I backup and restore 2M PSQL DB in <30mins. But that is also on a top end machine with lots of RAM, CPU and fast drives.

Going with a remote PSQL and using PAHUD is no problem as long as everything is good, i.e. fast DB server, fast network, fast host.