Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2007, 03:39 AM

Default SSHE starting to work

(Not a brag)Just finsihed reading SSHE for the 2nd time(Im on my 3rd read right now)have been working on a few things and trying to use tactics from the book in my live play sessions. I found a rather big leak in my past play in a few pots tonight. The pre-SSHE me used to fold hands on rivers when I was holding a descent hand when a scary card came off etc. usually to a single bet. Tonight playing 2/4 live I made it a point to not do this and a few times that I had the chance I actually took down 2 larger pots. Just trying to slowly work in new ideas of SSHE into my play. Do most of you try using this book this way?
Old 02-11-2007, 12:32 PM

Default Re: SSHE starting to work

fo sho! I read and reread that about a year ago, have since moved onto different books, but that book is great. I like the style of learning one thing at a time, focusing on maybe one or two elements during a session. Last session I played was all about exploiting my late position. The one before that I concentrated on counting the pot and how many players were in. By the end of the sesh, it was becoming second nature and I didn't have to think so much about it (ie:"ok, 5 players in for 3 bets, oh wait one dropped out, and the sb stayed in, plus the BB dead money"). I play live btw so that's why I was focusing on the # of players. Sometimes people unconsciously hide their cards, but the dealer usually announces how many players are in on each round so it's no big deal.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:24 PM

i dont fold hands on the river for 1 bet unless im 99% sure im beat.

that being said, i lay down hands on the turn pretty often in live games unless i have reason to think im being bluffed.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:25 PM

i mean, lay down hands to turn raises
Old 02-11-2007, 03:54 PM

Yea I hear ya. Yesterday I had to lay down QQ and KK, both on the turn. Hated to do it, but both times it was the right play. This is another leak that I have fixed in my game, being able to let go of big pairs when it is called for. I still hate doing it but I am getting better at it I think.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yea I hear ya. Yesterday I had to lay down QQ and KK, both on the turn. Hated to do it, but both times it was the right play. This is another leak that I have fixed in my game, being able to let go of big pairs when it is called for. I still hate doing it but I am getting better at it I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know it sucks..lol. Laid down AA QQ and AQ (TPTK) to turn raises 3 times in 30 minutes (villains had 2 sets and a straight) yesterday at the pink chip game.

That being said, for metagame value occasionally show down a hand and turn it face up so people dont take shots at you.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:31 PM

That is a good point Chino. Show them that I am not soft. I also had a hand yesterday where I had AA on a draw heavy board by the turn, but the pot was pretty big and nobody was acting like they had got there so I ended up calling down to win the pot with against a guy who bet on the river with JQ who only made a pair of J's. I wasn't quite sure what he had but for one bet I wasn't going to fold in this large pot. Kind of a read I guess. His river bet seemed a bit weakish to me.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:58 PM

I am rereading SSHE again in preparation for a Vegas trip starting this weekend. I find that even just a quick review for reminders is very helpful, particularly (for me) in taking pots here and there that no one else is willing to fight for.
Old 02-12-2007, 03:34 PM

I have about 4 books that I review at least one of every 90 days. Typically, I'll take one with me to LV and I'll have reviewed 2 more before leaving:

1) SSHE (of course)
2) Caro's Book of Tells
3) Psychology of Poker, Spoonmaker, and
4) the new(er) NL book.

Spoonmaker wrote an article a while ago about how important it use to use systems AS IS and to not try to adapt it to "your" game. Going back to the book gives you a refresher course on just how far your game is or has drifted from the book, as written.

And as you found, you can almost always pick up a couple of things you THOUGHT you were doing right, but on closer examination, you were not "going by the book." Instead, you were going by what you THOUGHT the book said.

I believe it was Samuel Clemens who said: "It ain't what I don't know that hurts me. It's what I know that ain't so." Regardless of the source of the quote, I've found it to be very accurate in real life.