Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2007, 11:27 AM

Default $25NL6max: Taking the more passive line with TP-kind of hands

Ok, this is not a TP-hand. But anyways. I think a big leak in my game is that I sometimes try to play these ones to fast. But the flip side is of course that I don't want to miss value agains the donks at my limit. How is this line agains an unknown?

Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.10/$0.25
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
Hero: $24.65
UTG+1: $22.80
CO: $11.75
Button: $45.35
SB: $16.30
BB: $43.25

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $1</font>, UTG+1 folds, CO calls, 2 folds, BB calls.

Flop: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($3.1, 3 players)
BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $2</font>, CO calls, BB folds.

Turn: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($7.1, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">CO bets $2.25</font>, Hero calls.

River: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($11.6, 2 players)
Hero checks (planning to call any bet by villian (look at his stack))
Old 02-12-2007, 11:34 AM

Default Re: $25NL6max: Taking the more passive line with TP-kind of hands

set him in instead of check call on the river, if he has Ax he will often just check behind, if he has a Q he will bet 100% so you will lose a big pot when facing a Q and win a small pot when facing a A by just check calling.

If there were some draws to miss then a check call might have more merit as you gain some bluff equity but very little in the way of draws was available here so this is a case of made hand v made hand.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:35 AM

If he's gonna float you with AJ and other aces, then it's okay to bet here on the river, I think a check is fine here as well. Any reads on villain? (Bluffing donkey, goes to showdown too often?)
Old 02-12-2007, 11:40 AM

I agree, a read would be nice.

A raise on the turn would define the hand. If he calls, I'd assume you're behind and fold on the river.

As played, I like the check on the river. I would get nervous when a player puts in a 1/3 pot bet on the turn after a flop with 2 Q's. I'd call a reasonable bet.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:45 AM

I can't "define my hand" with a raise since he is so short. I've played three hands with the guy, so no read at all yet.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:49 AM

I didn't look at villain's stack size so good point, Askilus.

Check on the river sounds good versus such a small stack.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:52 AM

I think a better title for this thread would be taking a more passive line against shorter stacks
Old 02-12-2007, 11:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

A raise on the turn would define the hand. If he calls, I'd assume you're behind and fold on the river.

As played, I like the check on the river. I would get nervous when a player puts in a 1/3 pot bet on the turn after a flop with 2 Q's. I'd call a reasonable bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Checking the river with the intention of calling is bad, he checks most hands you beat and bets all hands that beat you, he bluffs almost never as nothing could have reached this stage of the hand to miss &amp; bluff.

If you dont think your hand is good then check-fold but if you decide its good enough to call his all in then you have to squeeze the most out of the hands in his range you beat, since there are very few worse hands that will launch a bluff here and lots of worse hands that will call a bet but check behind if you check then a bet is compulsory.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Checking the river with the intention of calling is bad, he checks most hands you beat and bets all hands that beat you, he bluffs almost never as nothing could have reached this stage of the hand to miss &amp; bluff.

If you dont think your hand is good then check-fold but if you decide its good enough to call his all in then you have to squeeze the most out of the hands in his range you beat, since there are very few worse hands that will launch a bluff here and lots of worse hands that will call a bet but check behind if you check then a bet is compulsory.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you're necessarily beat if villain bets, but I like the check to see what villain does. If he goes AI, I'd probably let it go but if he puts in a smallish bet, I'd call it. I don't see a shorstack milking a hand like this with a Q.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:01 PM

I agree with betting on the river if you've checked your 'call any' button. Harrington calls this giving a 'negative freeroll'.