Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2007, 09:23 PM

Default 5 CARD DRAW - SB play

In a fixed limit 5 Card Stud Game.

Let's say it's folded to you in the SB (or there is one limper in the pot who you know limps with small pairs), with a BB who is not know to raise pots - and you have a hand like this:

A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

What would you do?

Would you call the BB?
And if you do, do you draw 3 to the 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]?
Or, would you think that you might need a higher pair to win the hand and draw three to the A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]?

I'd be interested in people's thoughts.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:49 PM

Default Re: 5 CARD DRAW - SB play

Raise him the pot and teach him not to limp at your blind. If he calls draw 2, rinse and repeat.

As for your original question, I'd tend to toss the shorts and look for a bigger pair. 5’s have no SD value if they don’t improve.

For a larger feild I'll tend to call less (if ever) but play the shorts for a set.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:57 PM

It sounds like blinds are weak-tight. I raise depending on my image.

TomTom, its FL not PL.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:01 PM

OK, raising is a good option here. But then what do you draw if called? Go for the trip 5s, or draw three keeping the AK and hope that top-pair might be good enough?
Old 02-11-2007, 10:05 PM

weehee depends, depends what he draws. Don't forget you still have a chance at 5's up. If he's the type to call with a flush draw then obviously draw 3. I might fold if reraised. Limping isn't out of the question here.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:10 PM

easy hand - fold

stripsqueez - chickenhawk
Old 02-11-2007, 11:58 PM

Yeah folding ain't bad either
but i think you could still steal the blinds against someone who you know folds a lot
Old 02-12-2007, 12:24 AM

3 choice:

i) limp/complete, half price, draw 3 for trips, muck ALL unimproved. Trips usually good, profit. +/-EV? borderline?

ii) fold, throw two quarters out your window, deal the next hand. No upside/no downside.

iii) take a shot running at the pot. your hand (small pp) isnt important here. THEY are assumed weak. its nice you have two high kickers, but not essential. So, if theres a limper, pop him, or if first action, open raise. Keep FOUR cards, no matter what. Bet out, no matter what. Roll dice, often win uncontested.

Having the chance of spiking 555 or AA55/KK55 is a side beefit, and you try to show those pots down [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] But you do this when you think the predraw pot will not be defended well (cause you raise/draw-1)

Your call. I think iii) will be best play sometimes and other times/tables, i) and ii) are interchangeably the best play