Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2007, 09:48 PM

Default Re: Recurring HU LHE scenario

[ QUOTE ]
And the main point is that your edge is reduced significantly if the guy is sitting on say 5BB. A lot of the time he's going to be all in on the turn. This makes playing much simpler. To the point that you might not have enough of an advantage to show a profit.

[/ QUOTE ]
That is all true,assuming decent opponent and raked game,playing may no longer be profitable.The thing is if you play theese players more you will be amazed how clueless they can be,and how many terrible mistakes they make.
If you are very good player outplaying decent opponnets with big stacks may work best for you,but I am always happy to get some clueless guy from time to time,and sitting with 5-10BB is a good sign.
Anyway if you don't want them(untill I learn to play Top Level HU holdem) I will take them all.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Post some hands. There is so much variance in HULHE that its impossible to say. Generally you shouldn't be "trapping" in these games.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. Some made hands become trapping hands against overaggressive players who bet and bluff way too much, but fold to pressure.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. You can trap with some very weak made hands, but HULHE is generally a game of value betting and applying pressure to your opponent. If your looking to "trap" your opponent you will generally be folding too much to win in the long run.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:37 PM

Thanks for all the thoughts on this. I had another one of these sessions last night, found a guy with $160 who wanted to play some 5-10. He took a decent lead on me playing super-maniac and getting lucky, but eventually turned back into a pumpkin and I busted him. After a while I was more or less playing my own cards, because he pretty much played every hand the same, gave away no information. I folded many hands, but the hands I did play were all capped pre-flop.

These matches are so strange, I don't know whether to keep playing them or not. At first I never find myself in the role of the aggressor, unless I happen to get real cards. I sort of train the opponent to bluff too much, then switch gears and take him down. I think part of what's happening is that I can change up my style, convincing the villain that I'm too passive and then running him over, whereas the villain seems stuck on predictable maniac mode. In any case, I win a lot more than I lose (somewhat small sample), and I like picking up $50-$150 in less than an hour.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

No. You can trap with some very weak made hands, but HULHE is generally a game of value betting and applying pressure to your opponent. If your looking to "trap" your opponent you will generally be folding too much to win in the long run.

[/ QUOTE ]

Against certain predictable overaggressive playes, HULHE is definitely a game where you can trap and be prepared to call down with hands worse than ace-high.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And the main point is that your edge is reduced significantly if the guy is sitting on say 5BB. A lot of the time he's going to be all in on the turn. This makes playing much simpler. To the point that you might not have enough of an advantage to show a profit.

[/ QUOTE ]
That is all true,assuming decent opponent and raked game,playing may no longer be profitable.The thing is if you play theese players more you will be amazed how clueless they can be,and how many terrible mistakes they make.
If you are very good player outplaying decent opponnets with big stacks may work best for you,but I am always happy to get some clueless guy from time to time,and sitting with 5-10BB is a good sign.
Anyway if you don't want them(untill I learn to play Top Level HU holdem) I will take them all.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are very few "decent" HU players below 10/20 whether they sit with 10 BB or 300. In fact, a lot of the guys that sit with huge stacks are beyond awful.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:38 PM

Has anyone done the math at BB/100 in rake at 5/10 HU vs. 10/20 HU on FT? I just spoke to someone who said it was like .7 at 10/20 but like 1.45 at 5/10 and was kinda taken back. I'm not at home or I would check.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Has anyone done the math at BB/100 in rake at 5/10 HU vs. 10/20 HU on FT? I just spoke to someone who said it was like .7 at 10/20 but like 1.45 at 5/10 and was kinda taken back. I'm not at home or I would check.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well the max it could possibly be is 2.5 at 5/10 and 1.25 at 10/20. The actually rake is highly dependent on you and your oppenent's style.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There are very few "decent" HU players below 10/20 whether they sit with 10 BB or 300. In fact, a lot of the guys that sit with huge stacks are beyond awful.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]