Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2007, 12:18 AM

Default Recurring HU LHE scenario

Sometimes when I can't find a good 5-10 or 10-20 LHE ring game going I will check out the smaller HU LHE games and look for easy targets; generally guys sitting there with less than 10 bbs. The result is pretty much inevitable.

Lately I keep falling into this pattern of falling way behind those jokers (who play super-aggressive) and then it takes me a while to trap them into hanging themselves. Today I had played one of these at the 2-4 level against a guy who bought in for $30, it looked like an easy pick up. Well, he ran his stack up to over $80 before crashing back to reality. By the time I finished him off, I only made $16 because the other $14 was taken up by rake.

Anyway, this scenario keeps playing out where I fall way behind and then come back. I'm always worried that the fish will just leave while he's ahead. Is this standard or am I playing too passively by waiting to trap the maniacs?
Old 02-10-2007, 11:17 AM

Default Re: Recurring HU LHE scenario

Post some hands. There is so much variance in HULHE that its impossible to say. Generally you shouldn't be "trapping" in these games.
Old 02-10-2007, 09:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sometimes when I can't find a good 5-10 or 10-20 LHE ring game going I will check out the smaller HU LHE games and look for easy targets; generally guys sitting there with less than 10 bbs. The result is pretty much inevitable.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a bad idea. The less bets they have the lower your edge. Not to mention these short stack people are more likely to hit and run in my experience
Old 02-11-2007, 01:11 AM

The funny thing with HU is that everyone thinks that they are the best and their opponents are bad

I also agree with Leader and only to add that 2/4 HU limit is a waste of time b/c of rake. Maybe it's OK for education or fun but not for profit.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:50 AM

Fwiw, I think 2/4 HU is beatable on FT. The rake is .5 cap after $10. If you're playing the right type of player (i.e. open complete a lot or folds a lot of flops), it should be manageable.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:07 AM

The rake at 2/4 creates a huge handicap to overcome IMO.
You either have to be very good but then why stay at 2/4 or consistently being able to find weaker players so your edge is always higher than the rake... Maybe it's possible. I've never tried these games
Old 02-11-2007, 03:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Post some hands. There is so much variance in HULHE that its impossible to say. Generally you shouldn't be "trapping" in these games.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. Some made hands become trapping hands against overaggressive players who bet and bluff way too much, but fold to pressure. As long as they play predictably, it's guaranteed profit over the long run even if a lot of these players hit and run.

I think that it is possible to be a winning player at 2/4HULHE in the same way that it is possible to be a winning player at 2/4 full ring. It might take you a while, but if you are patient and have a load of time, and are sufficiently bankrolled, a good player should be able to build his roll to play at higher limits. Of course, it's likely that a good player would build his role faster at other games.
Old 02-11-2007, 03:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a bad idea. The less bets they have the lower your edge. Not to mention these short stack people are more likely to hit and run in my experience

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't agree here.In my experience people sitting with 10 BB and less at HU table are much more likely to be weak.It is right that they are more likely to hit and run but they are most very weak players which makes for the occasional hit and run.
Old 02-11-2007, 03:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't agree here.In my experience people sitting with 10 BB and less at HU table are much more likely to be weak.It is right that they are more likely to hit and run but they are most very weak players which makes for the occasional hit and run.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not really occasional though. It's like the majority in my experience. And the main point is that your edge is reduced significantly if the guy is sitting on say 5BB. A lot of the time he's going to be all in on the turn. This makes playing much simpler. To the point that you might not have enough of an advantage to show a profit.

I could see playing someone who sits with 10, but then I'd win one decent hand and then have to stop, which is pretty rude. So I prefer just to avoid the whole thing and tell people that sit for to little to buy in for more if they want to play.
Old 02-11-2007, 04:21 AM

It's not rude. I always ask them to reload when they run low. And they always do (the gamblers). The time wasters/hit'n'runners just leave.