Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2007, 03:20 PM

Default Re: Gaiwan Cup and Brewing: Ming Dynasty

Gaiwan Cup: Gaiwan Cup and Brewing

Introducing the Gaiwan cup

During the Ming dynasty, a cup in porcelain with a lid that fits inside the lips was created. The cup was used for drinking directly from it or to serve the tea in individual testing cups. Later, a third element was introduced, the saucer, also called in China "Tea boat". This piece was created to insulate the bottom and to allow people to hold the cup safely. Because of its functionality and ease of use, the gaiwan has long been recognized as one of the most common tool in China to prepare tea. It is the favorite way of preparing and drinking tea in the Sichuan province. Teahouses there mostly serve tea in gaiwan cups. The gaiwan cup should be used when preparing tender tea like green tea, white tea, or tisanes that could over brewed easily when using a clay teapot. Another great thing about this cup is that when you drink directly from it, you are just enjoying tea exactly like they used to during the Ming dynasty.

So just another way to prepare tea. It also allows you to spend more money on tea ware, Gaiwan Cups:

Phoenix Gaiwan Cup

-Zeno
Old 02-10-2007, 04:04 PM

Default Re: Gaiwan Cup and Brewing: Ming Dynasty

jackflashdrive,

The main advantage of the IngenuiTEA is that the loose leaf tea is not constrained, plus the dispensing/cleanup is ridiculously easy (put it on top of a cup, liquid shoots out the bottom while the screen traps the tea leaves in a screen). Also, it's microwave safe so you just fill it up and throw it in the microwave for 2+ minutes to get hot water. It's perfect for making single servings and is particularly excellent if you work in an office.
Old 02-10-2007, 04:08 PM

Default Re: Tea for everyone

I've been on a huge Mate obsession for a little while. I previously recommended Teavana for mate, but it's come to my attention that they're selling the same mate as this place for twice the price. I still start the day with english breakfast, but switch to mate once I get to the office.
Old 02-10-2007, 09:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BCF: http://www.britshoppe.com/

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, that's brilliant. Rule Britania etc etc.

I drink a lot of tea, milk, no sugar. I often try to go for the brew in the pot option, but sometimes if i need a quick fix i'll make one in a cup. (Mug > Hot Water > 1 Tea Bag > a few minutes > remove tea bag > add milk).

One main problem that i'm still experimenting with is how long to leave tea to brew, I think if you're making it in a pot, around 5 minutes is ok if you use 2 teabags, but its more of a grey area if you're brewing it in a cup. What do people generally go for here?
Old 02-10-2007, 10:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I drink a lot of tea, milk, no sugar.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just FYI, milk may interfere with the health benefits of tea.
Old 02-10-2007, 11:47 PM

Supposedly so...

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/hea...cle2137682.ece
Old 02-11-2007, 12:01 AM

I just bought a box of Earl Gray in the store to try it. As an avid coffee drinker, I really like it and prefer it. I drink it 'black' just like my coffee.

Thank you for making this thread, I was actually going to start a thread in the next few days.

What are the best ways to drink Earl Gray? Milk, lemon, honey, sugar, etc?

thanks
Old 02-11-2007, 12:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Mariage Frere teas are all really good in my experience.

They have a pretty wide variety including flowery teas, fruity teas, what BeaucoupFish would call tea that tastes like tea.

My personal favorites of theirs are Elephant Blanc and Pleine Lune. My wife really likes the Wedding Imperial. I also like thier chocolate mint rooibos. Opinions differ on Rooibos in general, and it's not technically tea, but I really like it.

It's somewhat hard to find online. They have a website, but at least the English page wasn't working for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

You used to be able to get Mariage Frere teas from Dean & Deluca. I couldn't find any on the website just now, though. I love their Darjeeling.

My favorite US tea retailer is Tealuxe (http://www.tealuxe.com/). Wide selection of teas, and fantastic customer service.

I use a Bee House Teapot to brew my tea.

scrub
Old 02-11-2007, 02:14 AM

Zeno,

Thanks a lot for the insight. There are things that I haven't even heard of before. I only drink Chinese tea (high mountain green/oolong/puer0 and now am very interested in drinking some American/English tea. The post about Gaiwan cup is so necessary. My uncle taught me how to drink tea over summer and he couldn't overemphasize the importance of the cup. I am quite of a novice brewer though; my tea leaves/water ratio is still a bit iffy. Can you elaborate on how to take care of the teapots?
Old 02-11-2007, 07:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I drink a lot of tea, milk, no sugar.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just FYI, milk may interfere with the health benefits of tea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, i heard about that too, slightly gutting, but i'm not that bothered as i drink for the taste rather than for health. Maybe in future i'll eat an apple or go for a run after having a cuppa.