FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2007, 06:35 PM

Default Re: wrong numbers

po' baby.
Old 02-10-2007, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
IMO, an extra $30 a month for "better voice quality" is not good. You also get collect calls from prisoners, wrong numbers, phone ringing at all hours of the night. It's pointless really.

We've been phoneless for about a year now and have not missed it once. We are better off without it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really??

[/ QUOTE ]

This happened so often to a girl I know that she changed her number.
Old 02-10-2007, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
apparently whoever had this number before me spoke spanish and didn't inform anyone of his number change.

its been a year i still get the occasional call all in spanish, asking for someone.

it probably takes up .00001% of my time, but then again they dont call at 3am.

My old home phone number ended in 3644 and the local high school was 3664. We got a lot of calls to confirm excused absences, etc. Since the HS had students answering phones, I usually pretended to take the message, occasionally made up stuff about them not showing up that day or being suspended.

[/ QUOTE ]
This reminds me of what someone told me in college. A popular calzone place had a phone number of 368-8878. If you want to dial off-campus, you have to hit "9" first, but people would always forget to do this meaning they would call the dorm room at extension 3688 (the first 4 numbers of the calzone place). The kids would always pretend to take orders, then when people called back an hour later asking where their orders were, they'd just be like "oh, the driver just left with it." It was kinda dick, but at the same time I can't blame them since I imagine it must have happened all the freaking time. I imagine I would have done the same if it happened to me enough [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-10-2007, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The voice quality is absolutely better on a land line. If I owned a home, I would get a house telephone.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a waste of money if you own a cell phone.

[/ QUOTE ]

So is eating out if you own a kitchen

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes but there is a convenience factor to eating out. There is zero added convenience in having a home phone line and a cell unless you don't get service in your house or you'll be using ungodly minutes from home.
Old 02-10-2007, 09:11 PM

rumors of my having a land line have been greatly exaggerated. i use my cellphone as an alarm because it wakes me up with sweet vibrations and i can put it wherever i want. this is relevant because i therefore cant turn off my fone at night. and furthermore, what if someone calls with an emergency at night? furthermore still, why the [censored] should i have to turn off my fone? also, i still get calls in the car and other places where it wastes my time and anytime minutes and is an convenience.

there should be legal recourse. why should i just get [censored] over because people are too incompetent to dial the fone correctly? im getting screwed over and my time and minutes are being wasted, so someone should give me restitution.

you should get like 5 mis-dial allowances per year. after that, you get a big ass fine. and the pool of money from these fines go to people like me who are getting ripped off by incompetent callers.

and bring back online gambling, while youre at it. k thx, u.s. gvmt.

the end.
Old 02-10-2007, 09:30 PM

at college my number was one digit off from a popular hardware store. one time i got a message on my voicemail of some old lady saying she wanted to know if we sold a certain type of trash barrel. the odd part was, my outgoing message on my voicemail at the time was something dumb like "YO MF'ER!! I AIN'T AROUND, LEAVE A MESSAGE YA HERRRRD"
Old 02-10-2007, 09:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
there should be legal recourse. why should i just get [censored] over because people are too incompetent to dial the fone correctly? im getting screwed over and my time and minutes are being wasted, so someone should give me restitution.

you should get like 5 mis-dial allowances per year. after that, you get a big ass fine. and the pool of money from these fines go to people like me who are getting ripped off by incompetent callers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dumbest. Post. Evar.
Old 02-10-2007, 10:10 PM

Don't you have caller ID?

Our phone used to be hooked up to the intercom outside someone's apartment building by mistake. I got a bunch of calls from people who were confused as to why we couldn't let them in the building.
Old 02-10-2007, 10:13 PM

Get a landline and get a call screener. Just a cheap doohickey that answers incoming calls for you, plays a message typically telling telemarketers to go away, and requires they punch a button to make your phone actually ring.

Dunno how to do this for a cellphone.
Old 02-10-2007, 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
IMO, an extra $30 a month for "better voice quality" is not good. You also get collect calls from prisoners, wrong numbers, phone ringing at all hours of the night. It's pointless really.

We've been phoneless for about a year now and have not missed it once. We are better off without it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really??

[/ QUOTE ]

This happened so often to a girl I know that she changed her number.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never heard of this happening before. Why do they call, and what do they say?